News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

6th Century Byzantine coin 'pendant' discovered in Norfolk

Started by Imperial Dave, August 20, 2017, 07:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

It seems to be based on Byzantine surrogate coinage, e.g. this, produced by Athalric (the Ostrogoth) in the name of Justinian I; such coins were sometimes* better made than the Imperial version.  These particular coins were distinguished by a full-face depiction instead of the usual profile.

*On occasion, not so; this one seems carelessly executed and/or intended to look silly.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Duncan Head

None of your picture links work, Patrick: "hotlinking disabled".

The story at http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/norwich-castle-museum-hopes-to-obtain-unusual-7th-century-gold-coin-pendant-found-at-north-elmham-1-2333254 does say that it's a "French" (presumably Frankish!) copy of a Byzantine coin, not an original:

QuoteThe coin, about the size of a modern penny, is an imitation of a gold solidus of emperor Maurice Tiberius (582-602 AD).
"The French have copied this coin, and it has come over here and been made into a pendant to be used as jewellery," said Dr Marsden. "It could have been lost from around the neck of the wearer, but it is probably from a ploughed-up grave.
Duncan Head

Imperial Dave

thanks Duncan,

I do hope that the journalist transliterated the discussion he had and put French down rather than Frankish.....maybe he thought the readership wouldnt know what the reference was?
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Duncan Head on August 21, 2017, 08:53:22 AM
None of your picture links work, Patrick: "hotlinking disabled".

Odd - I tested them all (twice now) and they work perfectly.  I have suspicions your firewall may be being paranoid. ;)

However this does not solve your current inability to link to them, so here (in order) are the urls - good luck!

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/byz/justinian_I/GB_122cf.jpg
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/byz/justinian_I/Metcalf_358ff.jpg
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/byz/justinian_I/MIB_N36.jpg
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/byz/justinian_I/Gemini_526.jpg
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Duncan Head

Certainly not a firewall issue; I get (on both the original and your repost) the attached, clearly from the coin site.

Pasting the url into the address bar works fine, as does right clicking and "open in new tab" ...
Duncan Head

Patrick Waterson

Curious.  Does anyone else have this problem with these links?

I notice the Wildwinds message designates certain browsers as error-prone (in addition to having a novel jurisprudential approach to hotlinking).  I use Firefox and it manages these links with no bother.  Anyway, any thoughts on the actual coin/pendant, or have we covered all relevant aspects?

Andreas Johansson

I have the same issue as Duncan. I'd suspect the reason you don't is that your computer has cached the images and isn't actually fetching them when you click the links.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 44 infantry, 16 cavalry, 0 chariots, 5 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

Martin Smith

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on August 22, 2017, 09:46:37 AM
Curious.  Does anyone else have this problem with these links?

I notice the Wildwinds message designates certain browsers as error-prone (in addition to having a novel jurisprudential approach to hotlinking).  I use Firefox and it manages these links with no bother.  Anyway, any thoughts on the actual coin/pendant, or have we covered all relevant aspects?

Same problem when I tried the links.

Martin
Martin
u444

Patrick Waterson

Hmmm ... not sure what I can do about that except to suggest following Duncan's advice to right-click on the urls and open them in separate tabs.

Sorry.

willb

Using Firefox and I get this error:

The page isn't redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

It would appear that the site is fairly aggressive about tracking visitors.

Using Chrome, I was able to view the two images posted earlier.

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: willb on August 29, 2017, 03:54:25 AM
Using Firefox and I get this error:

And now so do I ... so no more links to Wildwinds in future.  Just have to download the picture and host it here.  Annoying.