News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Amazing find of Viking sword at high altitude in Norway

Started by Imperial Dave, September 05, 2017, 09:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Dangun

Very cool!

And really weird that its the only thing there.
Obviously, where's the body? But no metal trimmings from the belt and scabbard the blade sat it? Odd. Easter Island odd.

Imperial Dave

I did wonder myself....ie was it a hoax. I'll remain cautiously optimistic but if it is kosher then what a find!
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

Rationale: Viking dies in storm, body flops on ground, bear comes along and hauls off body, sword drops out of scabbard hilt-first and lands among stones.  One millennium passes, during which various creatures have the decaying hilt for nibbles, leaving the iron.  Along comes another Viking, this time a 21st century one, and finds the sword.

Conspiracy theory: modern swordmaker (cannot be too many of these) bangs out a Viking blade, does not bother with adding a hilt, rapid-rusts it, strolls over to one of the most isolated and inhospitable places he can find, sticks it in the stones the wrong way round and strides off chuckling.

Metallurgy analysis should reveal the item as genuine or sufficiently accurately made to seem genuine, or someone's anonymous hoax.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Erpingham

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on September 06, 2017, 10:14:49 AM

Metallurgy analysis should reveal the item as genuine or sufficiently accurately made to seem genuine, or someone's anonymous hoax.

As many repro swords seem to be cut from steel rather than forged, that would show up easily enough.  The patination, however, should be a dead give away.