News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

What were berserkers?

Started by Erpingham, September 26, 2017, 02:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

While rumaging in Viking blogs I spotted this .

I haven't read it but the abstract seemed interesting eg.

"A critical review of Old Norse literature shows that berserkir do not go berserk, and suggests that berserksgangr was a calculated form of posturing and a ritual activity designed to bolster the courage of the berserkr."

Patrick Waterson

Um ... the link is to the genomic female Viking blogpost.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Andreas Johansson

The blogger links to this article about berserkers, which I assume is the one Anthony is refering to.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 44 infantry, 16 cavalry, 0 chariots, 5 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

Chris

Agree . . . the abstract is of interest.

Makes me think and or reflect upon posturing in warfare . . . appearing taller (with plumed helmets), or more fierce with "paint" and similar decorations.

Mr. Barker spoke of berserkers in DBA or DBM, I believe.

Some rule sets allow them, some do not, as is their right.

To The Strongest! represents these as heroes as opposed to the "formed" units in other sets.

I am sure I read about them in that Vikings book reviewed recently . . .

Chris

Erpingham

Quote from: Andreas Johansson on September 26, 2017, 09:16:41 PM
The blogger links to this article about berserkers, which I assume is the one Anthony is refering to.

Thank you Andreas and apologies to everyone for the mistake - what happens sometimes when you are doing a pile of copy pasting and don't check :(

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Erpingham on September 27, 2017, 07:38:39 AM
Quote from: Andreas Johansson on September 26, 2017, 09:16:41 PM

Thank you Andreas and apologies to everyone for the mistake - what happens sometimes when you are doing a pile of copy pasting and don't check :(

Yes, thanks Andreas.

And not to worry, Anthony: what is worse is when you give a link and next day that site is taken down for some reason.  Happened to me ...

Regarding the berserkers article, or at least abstract, I am interested in Andreas' reactions to the subject.  (Everyone's for that matter, but particularly Andreas' or that of any Norwegian, Swede or Dane in our ranks.)
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Erpingham

Quote from: Chris on September 26, 2017, 09:59:22 PM

Mr. Barker spoke of berserkers in DBA or DBM, I believe.

Indeed, and is quoted on p. 372 of the thesis, on the section on berserkers in miniature wargames.  There are also sections on berserkers in boardgames, role play and computer games.

Nick Harbud

It all seems stuff and nonsense to me. 

Everybody knows that in a long-forgotten interstellar war, two races fought themselves into oblivion and the only thing left from the conflict is the weapon that ended it.  The beserkers are implacable, inimical killing machines that have been programmed to rebuild and redesign themselves, and destroy all things living....   :P
Nick Harbud

Erpingham

Quote from: NickHarbud on September 27, 2017, 04:15:24 PM
It all seems stuff and nonsense to me. 

Everybody knows that in a long-forgotten interstellar war, two races fought themselves into oblivion and the only thing left from the conflict is the weapon that ended it.  The beserkers are implacable, inimical killing machines that have been programmed to rebuild and redesign themselves, and destroy all things living....   :P

Hmmmm, not sure that would fit the evidence as presented in the thesis   :D

Erpingham

Though not meeting Patrick's Scandinavian criteria for comment, I have now read (in more or less detail) the thesis.  It is, I think, a useful summary of evidence and theories, even if you don't agree with the conclusions.  I was particularly struck by the attempts to see an evolution in perception of berserkers from a possible cultic/heroic pagan origin to a stock character in  the Christian era. 

eques

Quote from: Erpingham on September 26, 2017, 02:14:05 PM

"A critical review of Old Norse literature shows that berserkir do not go berserk, and suggests that berserksgangr was a calculated form of posturing and a ritual activity designed to bolster the courage of the berserkr."

Not sure those two things are all that different tbh!  Both denote a warrior going into battle in an altered state of mind that diminishes his fear.

Erpingham

Quote from: eques on September 28, 2017, 04:50:06 PM

Not sure those two things are all that different tbh!  Both denote a warrior going into battle in an altered state of mind that diminishes his fear.

You'll find the author has doubts over whether berserkers went into battle in an "altered" state of mind.  More like a sports person psyching themself up, getting into "the zone", getting the edge on the opposition.  Or so it seemed to me.   

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Erpingham on September 28, 2017, 05:24:33 PM

You'll find the author has doubts over whether berserkers went into battle in an "altered" state of mind.  More like a sports person psyching themself up, getting into "the zone", getting the edge on the opposition.  Or so it seemed to me.   

I think all things should be considered and that one berserker might be very different from the next....
Slingshot Editor

eques

Quote from: Erpingham on September 28, 2017, 05:24:33 PM

Again, don't really see the difference.

Erpingham

I suppose it's a definition thing, then.  I would assume an altered state was an involuntary thing, like the effect of drugs or psychological disfunction.  The authors view is that berserkerdom is a voluntary state.