News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

11C Scots

Started by Andreas Johansson, October 01, 2017, 06:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prufrock

Quote from: Swampster on October 04, 2017, 11:29:20 PM
'Read this heartwarming and life-affirming tale of how a young boy overcame the death of his father, the abandonment by his tribe and even slavery to become the beloved ruler of half the known world by the inspiring methods of adopting the sons of orphans, rewarding merit and eliminating every living creature from any city which opposed him'.

Classic - and not too dissimilar to the blurb for Adrienne Mayor's book on Mithridates!
https://press.princeton.edu/titles/8977.html

Prufrock

Quote from: Prufrock on October 09, 2017, 03:01:38 PM
Quote from: Swampster on October 04, 2017, 11:29:20 PM
'Read this heartwarming and life-affirming tale of how a young boy overcame the death of his father, the abandonment by his tribe and even slavery to become the beloved ruler of half the known world by the inspiring methods of adopting the sons of orphans, rewarding merit and eliminating every living creature from any city which opposed him'.

Classic - and not too dissimilar to the blurb for Adrienne Mayor's book on Mithradates!
https://press.princeton.edu/titles/8977.html

Patrick Waterson

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Hannipaul

With reference to the following in the original posting......."Relatedly, can anyone point to good figures to use?"

Not really wanting to enter into the debate on troop types but when building a Scots (Alba) Army for my 10th Century Britain Solo/Programmed Campaign I searched for Scots using 2 handed/Shieldless long Spear (DBAv3 Pike - Fast).
I notice no-one has mentioned Irregular Miniatures. In their 15mm Medieval range they do just such a set of spearmen figures in 4 different clothing, plus Scots Light Horse and Irish/Scottish infantry ( 4 different poses, clothing and equipment).

In addition I used Old Glory (Via TimeCast Figures) who do a Scots/Irish Command set and a Picts range (especially good for Psiloi/Javelin men) The are to be found, a little bizarrely, in the Armies and Enemies of Byzantium  Range, listed as Picts and Scots Irish.
I was pleased with the overall look and effect............ even if there is still debate about Army composition and the existence
or not of Spearmen or the  "Pike" classification.

By the way, in my own Solo Campaign the Scots of Alba doing quite nicely - having given the Kingdom of Jorvik a bloody nose and subdued Mercia thus breaking it away from Wessex control/influence. I am at 925.A.D.

Andreas Johansson

Quote from: Hannipaul on October 11, 2017, 04:43:04 PM
In addition I used Old Glory (Via TimeCast Figures) who do a Scots/Irish Command set and a Picts range (especially good for Psiloi/Javelin men) The are to be found, a little bizarrely, in the Armies and Enemies of Byzantium  Range, listed as Picts and Scots Irish.
They're, irritatingly, sold in packs of 24. If one were to buy a 24-pack of "archers & javelinmen", does one know how many of each one is getting?

(As it happens, to max out the light foot contingent of the DBMM list, one needs 24 each of archers and javelinmen - but one'd rather buy a pack of each and know you're getting the right number.)
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 88 infantry, 16 cavalry, 0 chariots, 9 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

Swampster

Quote from: Andreas Johansson on October 12, 2017, 06:17:29 AM
They're, irritatingly, sold in packs of 24. If one were to buy a 24-pack of "archers & javelinmen", does one know how many of each one is getting?

(As it happens, to max out the light foot contingent of the DBMM list, one needs 24 each of archers and javelinmen - but one'd rather buy a pack of each and know you're getting the right number.)
I've generally found that they are 50/50 when sold like this, but I wouldn't guarantee it. I've also found that the packs sometimes have a couple of spare figures, which helps.
There may be a FoG battle group pack sold by OG15s in the USA which is just archers or javelinmen. I've bought a few of these in the past as they are often smaller- particularly useful for things like the Ottomans in the Renaissance range where the infantry packs are 48 figures. Orders take longer than from Timecast but the price difference isn't too bad despite the extra postage. Even better if you can order enough to get a discount.

Martin Smith

With reference to the following in the original posting......."Relatedly, can anyone point to good figures to use?"

Not really wanting to enter into the debate on troop types but when building a Scots (Alba) Army for my 10th Century Britain Solo/Programmed Campaign I searched for Scots using 2 handed/Shieldless long Spear (DBAv3 Pike - Fast).
I notice no-one has mentioned Irregular Miniatures. In their 15mm Medieval range they do just such a set of spearmen figures in 4 different clothing, plus Scots Light Horse and Irish/Scottish infantry ( 4 different poses, clothing and equipment).

Used the Irregulars for my Pre Feudal Scots DBA army, plus a spare given away at a tournament. Excellent mix of clothing/heads. Replaced the cast spears with brass rod.
Only downside was the spears being held approx 30-40 degrees from horizontal, requiring much thought when basing, to avoid rear rank clashing with front rank when in column/double ranked. Other than that, love 'em.

M
Martin
u444

Andreas Johansson

Tangentially I discover that the Latin names (or at least a pair of Latin names) of Moray and Alba are Moravia and Albania respectively.

Further proof that medieval people shouldn't be let anywhere near nomenclature!
Lead Mountain 2024

Andreas Johansson

In their "Feudal Europe & Crusades" range, Donnington have a few Scots codes: FEF53 Scots Spearman, FEF54 Scots warrior, and FEF90 Macbeth/Early Scots Clan Chief. Unfortunately, these are among the few figures for which the website doesn't have pictures yet; anyone seen them in the flesh? Do the former two look suitable for the 11C?
Lead Mountain 2024