News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

The Watford Gap

Started by Duncan Head, October 16, 2017, 09:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

Max Adams has a new book to plug, so we get https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/oct/16/uk-north-south-divide-vikings-watford-gap

As many of the commenters point out there seems to be no new historical information in the article, but the "Viking routes" graphic is an interesting one.
Duncan Head

Erpingham

I didn't realise the Watford Gap had only been the limit of civilisation since 1959 though.

Jim Webster

Quote from: Erpingham on October 16, 2017, 10:00:59 AM
I didn't realise the Watford Gap had only been the limit of civilisation since 1959 though.
it's true, we thought of pushing the boundaries of civilisation further south but frankly it never seemed worth the effort

Mark G

Full of orcs that far south, I read somewhere.

Tim

Rumours put about by Southerners in an attempt to keep Norsemen out (one has to do something to keep up standards else who knows what will happen to the neighbourhood and that might impact upon house prices!); I mean, look what occurred last time wild hairy northmen came south of the Watford Gap - Bede wrote whole chapters about it...

Imperial Dave

it'll all end in tears....!
Slingshot Editor