News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Lead caused the fall of the Roman Empire!

Started by Imperial Dave, November 03, 2017, 08:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

https://www.heritagedaily.com/2017/10/deadly-lead-lead-poisoning-affected-roman-empire/117150

well not quite but there is a study into the affects of lead on the Roman population, especially those who worked with it on a routine basis. Doesnt actually reveal what they have found so far but an interesting field of study nonetheless
Slingshot Editor

Andreas Johansson

It's a good thing the forum members aren't empires or we'd all fallen long ago.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 44 cavalry, 0 chariots, 12 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

Jim Webster

There was a piece on the radio I heard as I was driving somewhere recently which commented that up until comparatively recently Lead Acetate was used to sweeten wine

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/sugar-of-lead-a-deadly-sweetener-89984487/

Mark G

When I play romans, it's white metal that causes the fall.

That and the plastic dice.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Mark G on November 04, 2017, 07:28:49 AM
When I play romans, it's white metal that causes the fall.

That and the plastic dice.

thats easy to correct, anyone with Romans just has to play against me and the empire will continue!
Slingshot Editor

Prufrock

Quote from: Andreas Johansson on November 03, 2017, 08:20:19 PM

Lead may have been a contributing factor in the demise of a few relationships, however!

Jim Webster

Quote from: Prufrock on November 04, 2017, 08:38:08 AM
Quote from: Andreas Johansson on November 03, 2017, 08:20:19 PM

Lead may have been a contributing factor in the demise of a few relationships, however!
There again I know at least one lady who claims that wargamers make good second husbands.......

Imperial Dave

since we've deviated slightly......I looked up wargaming figures on Wiki just to see what materials are used these days

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_figure_(gaming)

Interesting ins and outs for the US scene and the ban on lead. Not sure what the stance in the UK is though. In my heyday I can remember making my own figures using white metal and prince august moulding sets
Slingshot Editor

Andreas Johansson

I also cast Prince August figures as a kid. If I recall, there were two sorts of metal you could by for it, a "soldering tin" that was 60% lead and lead-free white metal that was much more expensive but supposedly produced superior results.

I still have some of the "tin" laying about somewhere. (About two meters behind and slightly to the left of where I'm typing this, to be exact.)

I even wrote  a rulesset, heavily inspired by WHFB, for playing with my 25mm PA fantasy figures.
Lead Mountain 2024

Dangun

Absurd.

In a world where life expectancy was 25 and infant mortality was about 50% lead poisoning wouldn't have figured in the top 20 health problems you were facing. In fact, lead piping was probably a hugely positive because it was correlated with reliable water supply, technology, investment etc. etc.

Alternatively...
Yeah, those lead pipes, common up until the 1950s, but the one empire it really nailed was the Romans??

Erpingham

Quote from: Andreas Johansson on November 04, 2017, 11:07:37 AM
I also cast Prince August figures as a kid. If I recall, there were two sorts of metal you could by for it, a "soldering tin" that was 60% lead and lead-free white metal that was much more expensive but supposedly produced superior results.

Back in the 60s and 70s home casting figures with plaster moulds was popular.  IIRC you used a two-part material called tinsmiths solder.  I still have some my dad bought in a tool box somewhere.

QuoteYeah, those lead pipes, common up until the 1950s, but the one empire it really nailed was the Romans??

To be fair to the archaeologists, they haven't said anything about the fall of the Roman empire - that was the journalists.

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Dangun on November 04, 2017, 11:30:35 AM
Absurd.

In a world where life expectancy was 25 and infant mortality was about 50% lead poisoning wouldn't have figured in the top 20 health problems you were facing. In fact, lead piping was probably a hugely positive because it was correlated with reliable water supply, technology, investment etc. etc.

Inclined to agree the subject has been looked upon in isolation rather than in context.  Health is in any event hard to trace as a significant cause of imperial decline: how would its effects manifest?  Given that the Empire survived plagues which depleted the population by one third or more, just how debilitating could lead ingestion be by comparison?

It could be argued that it affected the judgement of emperors, but this could only be true of emperors who spent their lives drinking water with the requisite lead content and not, for example, on campaign, drinking from clear sparkling streams.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Andreas Johansson

The investigation, it may be noted, deals with a site where lead ore was processed. The effects on the workers actually smelting the stuff were presumably greater than those on Gaius Sixpack who merely drank piped water.
Lead Mountain 2024

Erpingham

Quote from: Andreas Johansson on November 04, 2017, 04:19:48 PM
The investigation, it may be noted, deals with a site where lead ore was processed. The effects on the workers actually smelting the stuff were presumably greater than those on Gaius Sixpack who merely drank piped water.

Yes, the lead pipe stuff is a red (lead) herring.

Patrick Waterson

Indeed.  Given that this sort of job seems to have been done largely by slaves of the most expendable category, it will be interesting to see if studies conclude that they died of lead poisoning or other causes (accident, malnutrition, disease or whatever).

Professor Caroll seems in part to appreciate this point:

"The village's inhabitants almost certainly were of varying social status, from slaves to free-born, and from local workers to immigrant labourers and tenants, so this research will give us an important insight into lead production and exposure among different tiers of Roman society."

Distinguishing free and slave skeletons might however be an challenging exercise.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill