News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Optio battle report - Slaughter in Seleucia

Started by Justin Swanton, November 06, 2017, 06:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Swanton

This is a game between Boadazulu and myself played at the Durban club about a month ago. Another Seleucid civil war setup with two identical armies composed of a goodly mix of LH, heavy Companion cavalry, skirmisher foot, Auxilia, Imitation Legionaries and Pike. Boadazulu (a.k.a. Deadly Delia) is a feared opponent, currently Durban Memoir '44 champion and Club Ancients champion. She has not yet lost an Optio game in its current incarnation.

I decided to link to a multi-page pdf as there are rather a lot of diagrams which would make for an overly long post. Enjoy!

Pdf downloadable from here.

We used printed flats and movement trays. The morale/missile hits scales had magnetized markers. I've left off too much detailed explanation of the gaming mechanisms in favour of an overview of the game's progress. Feel free to ask any questions.

Imperial Dave

that is a very detailed and well illustrated battle report Justin.
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

Agreed - and it is easy to see which side coordinated its troops and which simply engaged in hopeful pushes.  If this game is representative, Optio appears to reward good generalship, or at least good coordinated troop handling, always a plus in my book.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill