News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Combat scene on Mycenaean seal from Pylos

Started by Duncan Head, November 07, 2017, 11:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Dangun on November 08, 2017, 11:41:37 PM
Quote from: Duncan Head on November 08, 2017, 08:52:01 AM
That's because it's not a club, it's the scabbard for his sword.

That would explain the opening at one end of the "club"!
Any thoughts on what the bulb is for on the pointy end of the scabbard?

Its odd that the prone man's scabbard has actually fallen off. Maybe that's why he died  ;D

Any chance the scabbard itself could have doubled as a club? A bit like a knobkerry.

Justin Swanton

Another thing I picked up on. Does anyone realise just how small the detail is? The head of the warrior giving the killing blow is about 3 - 4 millimetres wide. How was it done?

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Justin Swanton on November 10, 2017, 11:45:52 AM
Another thing I picked up on. Does anyone realise just how small the detail is? The head of the warrior giving the killing blow is about 3 - 4 millimetres wide. How was it done?

By a very short-sighted, highly dextrous person with a very fine tool?  No, I don't know either.  Impressive though.

Jim Webster

Quote from: Erpingham on November 10, 2017, 01:51:23 PM
Quote from: Justin Swanton on November 10, 2017, 11:45:52 AM

By a very short-sighted, highly dextrous person with a very fine tool?  No, I don't know either.  Impressive though.
Funnily enough I'd also wondered if the artist was very short sighted

evilgong

I have a memory of one of the ancient sources saying gem cutters would spend a 3 (or was it 5) year apprenticeship just learning tools and material before they got to do any serious work.

Patrick Waterson

Judging by the striations on the material, I would say the tool used was some form of pin or chisel resembling a miniature screwdriver, used with a small stone as a hammer by a very patient and painstaking craftsman.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill