News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Landsknecht clothing colours

Started by Tim, November 26, 2017, 11:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

I know that some of this falls outside of our period so please accept my apology if this is of no interest to you.

The latest issue of the Journal of the Pike and Shot Society, Arquebusier, has an article, with colour illustrations, about how modern ideas about Landsknecht clothing colours are not supported by contemporary evidence.  A lot of what is discussed is early 16th Century so may not be totally relevant.  If any member is also a member of the PSS it might be worth a look.

Martin Smith

Quote from: Tim on November 26, 2017, 11:59:17 AM
I know that some of this falls outside of our period so please accept my apology if this is of no interest to you.

The latest issue of the Journal of the Pike and Shot Society, Arquebusier, has an article, with colour illustrations, about how modern ideas about Landsknecht clothing colours are not supported by contemporary evidence.  A lot of what is discussed is early 16th Century so may not be totally relevant.  If any member is also a member of the PSS it might be worth a look.

In summary, what's the main difference, Tim? Less flamboyant, more faded and grimy than we normally see on the Wargames table?
Martin
Martin
u444

Erpingham

As early landsknechts do appear right at the end of our period, any interesting insights into the period before extreme slashed and puffed clothing?

Tim

Quote from: Martin Smith on November 26, 2017, 12:31:05 PM
Quote from: Tim on November 26, 2017, 11:59:17 AM

In summary, what's the main difference, Tim? Less flamboyant, more faded and grimy than we normally see on the Wargames table?
Martin

Very rare to see more than 3 colours (white, Red, and Pale/Dirty Blue) and usually two of those, yellows typically represent buff coloured slashed jerkins rather than coloured cloth, colours from cheaper dyes, and stripes based rather than Harlequin or Punchinello from the commedia dell'arte.

Tim

Quote from: Erpingham on November 26, 2017, 12:31:50 PM
As early landsknechts do appear right at the end of our period, any interesting insights into the period before extreme slashed and puffed clothing?

Not so much on that, more on colours.

Erpingham

Quote from: Tim on November 26, 2017, 12:47:27 PM

Very rare to see more than 3 colours (white, Red, and Pale/Dirty Blue) and usually two of those, yellows typically represent buff coloured slashed jerkins rather than coloured cloth, colours from cheaper dyes, and stripes based rather than Harlequin or Punchinello from the commedia dell'arte.

Bit surprised no black.  Do article assume assume Black Guard and Black bands were an armour thing?

Tim

Quote from: Erpingham on November 26, 2017, 01:26:18 PM
Quote from: Tim on November 26, 2017, 12:47:27 PM

Bit surprised no black.  Do article assume assume Black Guard and Black bands were an armour thing?

Black was present but very very rarely in artistic representations that have survived.  (Grey was also very occasionally used.)  The article did not say but it might be that the artists who were painting these subjects did not paint Black Guard and Black Bands because they did not suit the (political?) taste of their patrons...

Tim

Following up on the black theme, the only representation I recall ever having seen of a Landsknecht dressed in black is here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Pavia#/media/File:Battle_of_Pavia.jpg

in the foreground left of the explosion.  The image is from right at the very end of the period.  There may well be others as I have not checked every source.

Andreas Johansson

Quote from: Erpingham on November 26, 2017, 01:26:18 PM
I recently read, but cannot recall where, that "black" in Black Guard, Black Bands, etc. is contemporary jargon for elite status, not a description of colour.

On the other hand, acc'd Arfaioli in The Black Bands of Giovanni (available for free at the author's website), the titular unit's title derived from their flags. Of course, these guys aren't strictly speaking Landsknechte.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 44 cavalry, 0 chariots, 12 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

Tim

Andreas, thank you for that.  While technically outwith the remit of the Society, the Arfaioli link takes us to a fascinating work that I will read more of.