News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Maps of Ancient Battle Fields

Started by huthwac, November 30, 2017, 12:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huthwac

West Point at this URL https://www.usma.edu/history/SitePages/Ancient%20Warfare.aspx
has a series of PDF.

Does anyone know what publication these came from?

Many thanks

C

Paul Vinton

They look self generated at the Academy:

Department Maps
In 1938 the predecessors of what is today The Department of History at the United States Military Academy began developing a series of campaign atlases to aid in teaching cadets a course entitled, "History of the Military Art." Since then, the Department has produced over six atlases and more than one thousand maps, encompassing not only America's wars but global conflicts as well.

In keeping abreast with today's technology, the Department of History is providing these maps on the internet as part of the department's outreach program. The maps were created by the United States Military Academy's Department of History and are the digital versions from the atlases printed by the United States Defense Printing Agency.

We gratefully acknowledge the accomplishments of the department's former cartographer, Mr. Edward J. Krasnoborski, along with the works of our present cartographer, Mr. Frank Martini. For permission to reprint these maps, please contact LTC Raymond Hrinko at 845-938-5140 or raymond.hrinko@usma.edu.
Never give up, NEVER SURRENDER!!!

huthwac

Thank you very much Paul. Most appreciated.

C

Erpingham

Interesting to see four interpretations of Poitiers available and a useful base map on which to base your own :)

Patrick Waterson

Some of the maps are rather odd (observe the Granicus entry), evidently reflecting idiosyncratic interpretation rather than source statement.

So - could be a useful site, but keep the pinch of salt handy.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Paul Vinton

You are welcome Charles!

My first love is books, when I was in junior high school I worked in the school library and loved it.  Second love is maps.  Used to draw, tinker, modify them all the time.  Want a new campaign, let me at it! 

Agree about the grain of salt, I've seen some strange interpretations out here.....

;D
Never give up, NEVER SURRENDER!!!