News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Chaos at Chios

Started by willb, February 13, 2018, 05:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willb

Fought the battle of Chios 201 BC.   AAR and more photos on my blog at http://18clovehamhock.blogspot.com/2018/02/chaos-at-chios.html

Duncan Head

I've never really got into naval gaming myself, but that looks great. I see you say you didn't keep track of number of turns, but how long real-time were you playing for?
Duncan Head

willb

Including set up time we played for almost five hours.  This was the first time any of the players had seen the rules.

Mark G

The table shape suggests the rules have little movement and detailed fighting mechanisms

Chris

Interesting!

Yet another avenue (or should I dare to suggest "course"?) to explore.

Thanks for posting.

Chris

willb

Quote from: Mark G on February 14, 2018, 08:13:16 AM
The table shape suggests the rules have little movement and detailed fighting mechanisms

While the rules do cover all aspects of ancient naval combat they are not overly complex or detailed.  There is a maximum of four modifiers for each type of combat (plus an additional one for crew quality that I added).  There is an earlier version of the rules that is only three pages.  The Society version is four pages of written rules with diagrams expanding that to eight pages.  Movement is in units (inches for 1/600, centimeters for 1/1200 - we used half inches) and varies from 4 to 8 depending on ship type.  The rules do not incllude wind and ocean currents.  Of the 50+ rule sets that I have looked at Corvus is one of few that allows players who have never played the rules to handle up to 40 ships and learn the rules within one turn.  Of the others most are oversimplified and/or incomplete.  I did post in this forum thread http://soa.org.uk/sm/index.php?topic=3189.0 about most of the other rule sets that I have looked at.  For a detailed rule set I would recommend Naumachaie from Langton Miniatures.  However, I would not recommend it for a club game unless there is at least one player on each side who Knows the rules as they run close to 100 pages.

Chris

Inspired me to take a look at back issues of WI. Found the 2003 copy that contained an adaptation of F&F (ACW rules) for ancient naval. It was called "Greek Fire and Roman Fury".

I was also wondering if one might borrow form To The Strongest! to develop a set of naval rules . . .

Things to think about.

Thanks for posting "Admiral" Bill.

Chris