News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Aux sagittarii standards

Started by Ade G, February 18, 2018, 02:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ade G

Just painting some Auxilia Palatina sagittarii and realised I have no idea what standards they used.
Comparison with other Auxilia units suggests the draco which would also be useful for wind direction?

Can anyone confirm please?
Thank you

Ade G

Ade G

It must be a draco because with 30 views if it was wrong somebody would have said by now... ;D

nikgaukroger

Can't think why they would have different standards to other Auxilia.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Ade G

Quote from: nikgaukroger on February 19, 2018, 09:23:44 PM
Can't think why they would have different standards to other Auxilia.

I didn't like to assume Nik.
The fact that equites used labarum and draco variously was at the back of my mind

stevenneate

I think their banner was horses' head. The soldiers wore bells on their legs and intimidated the enemy by dancing around waving white hankies.  Wait a minute, these are the Maurice Men of the Early Byzantine period, not late Roman.......

Ade G

Quote from: stevenneate on February 22, 2018, 10:56:06 AM
I think their banner was horses' head. The soldiers wore bells on their legs and intimidated the enemy by dancing around waving white hankies.  Wait a minute, these are the Maurice Men of the Early Byzantine period, not late Roman.......

Locally known as the "Obby 'oss" and it is terrifying!
The fact that zebras are referred to as "stripy 'osses" may tell you something of the Yamyam mentality