News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Ancient skeletons bury a popular right-wing talking point

Started by Imperial Dave, April 12, 2018, 09:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichT

But weren't the last couple of weeks on this forum nice? I had hoped the situation might be permanent.

Jim Webster

Quote from: RichT on April 13, 2018, 10:29:49 PM
But weren't the last couple of weeks on this forum nice? I had hoped the situation might be permanent.
that's very English, to talk about the weather when things are hotting up  ;)

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Jim Webster on April 14, 2018, 08:07:09 AM

ahem...British

;D
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on April 14, 2018, 08:14:44 AM
Quote from: Jim Webster on April 14, 2018, 08:07:09 AM

ahem...British

;D

:P

;)

Erpingham

Personally, I find much more of interest in the social construction of ethnicity rather than the blood line approach, but genetics is such a massive scientific project at the moment, historical DNA studies are inevitable.   It's a question of tip-toeing around the elephant in the room.  It doesn't take much to stray into a stray into dodgy territory.

Jim Webster

Quote from: Erpingham on April 14, 2018, 09:45:23 AM
Personally, I find much more of interest in the social construction of ethnicity rather than the blood line approach, but genetics is such a massive scientific project at the moment, historical DNA studies are inevitable.   It's a question of tip-toeing around the elephant in the room.  It doesn't take much to stray into a stray into dodgy territory.
This is normally found at the rear of the elephant and is one reason why so few people keep them in the room with them  :-[

Mark G

Jim Webster

Patrick Waterson

Amazing how we got here from an Anglo-Saxon sense of identity.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Jim Webster

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on April 14, 2018, 08:04:38 PM
Amazing how we got here from an Anglo-Saxon sense of identity.
You'd never find an Anglo Saxon standing behind a sneezing elephant!   ;)

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

I think Jim's got it back on track. ;)

Seriously, though, let us not bring political correctness into historical discussions.  It just turns them into political discussions, which do not belong here.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Erpingham

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on April 15, 2018, 09:50:44 AM

Seriously, though, let us not bring political correctness into historical discussions.  It just turns them into political discussions, which do not belong here.

Which is of course a politically loaded statement in itself.  Elephants, as Jim has said, produce health and safety issues.  Lets hope they don't go mad either. :)

We won't keep all politics out of what we discuss, any more than we will keep out other beliefs.  I think we do owe it to each other though to be self-aware and seek to discuss as objectively and rationally as we can.  On that nicely value-laden plea, I think I'll leave it :)

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Erpingham on April 15, 2018, 10:07:30 AM
I think we do owe it to each other though to be self-aware and seek to discuss as objectively and rationally as we can.  On that nicely value-laden plea, I think I'll leave it :)

Seconded.

Flaminpig0

We wouldn't want to be so politically correct as to end up accusing anyone of cultural racism- that would be awful.