News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Edwardian Conquest English c.1270-c.1330- for Armati

Started by Flaminpig0, April 16, 2018, 12:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

I always thought Irish fashion was a bit beyond the pale.

Mick Hession

Quote from: Flaminpig0 on April 19, 2018, 11:29:16 PM

I trust you realise that my description of  the 'proper' Irish as 'wild and woolly' is not meant as a pejorative. It is merely a recognition of their independent yet productive life choice combined with an admiration for their unconventional yet stylish and eminently practical attire.

No offence taken, even if nobles actually tended to wear linen  :)

I've read that the term Gaedhil (whence Gaelic) actually derives from Welsh Gwydyll, which essentially means "wild and woolly" so you weren't that far off.....

Cheers
Mick

Flaminpig0

Quote from: Mark G on April 16, 2018, 03:05:23 PM
You can predicate the number of on and maa chosen from the bonus as being no greater than 2 .
And say if any one maa is taken then both must be.

(or hobikars if you prefer)
Is the issue that you feel that there is option for too many horse units?

Mark G

Only if it us accidental.

If you note that you only include some bonus troops because people may expect them but you think they are wrong, then you need to make sure you haven't accidentally skewed the list by allowing them in top of what you had expected it to be.

Which is why I would expect to bracket the option you don't like with one you do, to prevent someone taking both choices.

Flaminpig0

Quote from: Mark G on April 22, 2018, 07:54:34 AM
Only if it us accidental.

If you note that you only include some bonus troops because people may expect them but you think they are wrong, then you need to make sure you haven't accidentally skewed the list by allowing them in top of what you had expected it to be.

Which is why I would expect to bracket the option you don't like with one you do, to prevent someone taking both choices.

On reflection I am going to rewrite the list to get rid of the MAA. They don't make a lot of sense as a separate troop type as they are as well protected as a Kn but are faster than their better mounted and probably more motivated social superiors.

Flaminpig0

Quote from: Mick Hession on April 18, 2018, 01:05:44 PM

The largest native Irish contingent that served overseas was 3,000 men under Felim O'Connor that served in Henry III's Welsh campaign in 1245, so before the period under discussion. They missed the sharp end of the campaign, having stopped off to plunder Anglesey en route, but accompanied the main army for its conclusion.   

Cheers
Mick

In our wargame terms would I be right in thinking these troops be  Ll/LMI/Auxilia armed with Javelin?

Mick Hession

Quote from: Flaminpig0 on April 26, 2018, 10:15:21 AM
Quote from: Mick Hession on April 18, 2018, 01:05:44 PM

The largest native Irish contingent that served overseas was 3,000 men under Felim O'Connor that served in Henry III's Welsh campaign in 1245, so before the period under discussion. They missed the sharp end of the campaign, having stopped off to plunder Anglesey en route, but accompanied the main army for its conclusion.   

Cheers
Mick

In our wargame terms would I be right in thinking these troops be  Ll/LMI/Auxilia armed with Javelin?

Yes, that's right. They'd probably have included a small number of LI archers at this period but they can be lumped in with the LI javelins for classification purposes. It's a couple of decades too early for galloglaich and decent light horse. 

Cheers
Mick