News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Alexander I, pezetairoi in tens, and the origins of the Macedonian army

Started by Duncan Head, May 07, 2018, 10:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichT

Yes I can go with that - so we might have:

Archelaus - improved central supply of equipment
Alexander I - created a state-equipped and organized hoplite force, which he named 'Foot Companions'
Philip II - re-armed the Foot Companions 'in the Macedonian fashion'

Others (like Alexander II) might have tinkered too, but without lasting impact. Though I'm just reading Juhel (Autors de l'Infanterie) now so should really keep quiet till I've done so...

Imperial Dave

I'll go back and reread An Invincible Beast for the alternate viewpoint (Alex 2) but so far am liking the logical and synergistic reasons for Alex 1
Slingshot Editor

RichT

Incidentally I'm not totally convinced that dekas = Achaemenid - there's a Homeric precedent too (for example Iliad 2.124-129 "For should we be minded, both Achaeans and Trojans, to swear a solemn oath with sacrifice, and to number ourselves, and should the Trojans be gathered together, even all they that have dwellings in the city, and we Achaeans be marshalled by tens, and choose, each company of us, a man of the Trojans to pour our wine, then would many tens lack a cup-bearer; so far, I deem, do the sons of the Achaeans outnumber the Trojans that dwell in the city."

Not that that need alter the Alexander I argument, just a passing thought.