News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Arian Christian symbols?

Started by Ade G, May 12, 2018, 05:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ade G

I have Gothic and Vandal figures on the painting table at the moment and wondered if there were any particular Arian symbols distinctly different from Roman chi-chiro etc?

Google-fu just shows Roman symbols...

Swampster

Ostrogoth coins generally show a simple Greek cross. There are some with either a chi-rho where the top is lost by being at the edge of the coin, or iota-chi (Iesus Christ). Others have a normal chi-rho.

Some Vandal coins have a chi-rho of the type where the chi is a vertical/horizontal cross and the rho forms a finial.

The Vandal coins in particular are more or less copies of Byzantine coins but it shows they didn't mind having such symbols on their coins, suggesting they didn't see them as being from a different brand of Christianity.

Some of Constantius II's coins use the chi-rho and he was at least a semi-Arian.

Talking of post-Roman coins, I hadn't realized the common use of monograms by various kings which are rather neat.

Ade G

Thank you Peter

Everything I could find just looked "Roman" and I thought I must be missing something obvious so very good to know I can use similar symbols

Cheers

AG