News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Artilce: Armour of the Cataphractarius from the “Roshava Dragana” Burial Mound

Started by nikgaukroger, September 07, 2018, 09:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikgaukroger

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

DougM

Looks like a real mix of styles, but some serious issues with reconstruction. A quick read through suggests they have lots of fragments but conflicting ideas about where the fragments should be..
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Duncan Head

It's nice to see a proper article in English about this find. I'd not seen it called "Roshava Dragana" before, it's more often just "Catalka". I always found the leg-armour reconstruction shown in fig.40 a bit hard to believe! I have wondered whether all the finds were even worn together, or if some of it was simply trophies taken from the Sarmatians.
Duncan Head

DougM

Quote from: Duncan Head on September 10, 2018, 09:02:33 AM
It's nice to see a proper article in English about this find. I'd not seen it called "Roshava Dragana" before, it's more often just "Catalka". I always found the leg-armour reconstruction shown in fig.40 a bit hard to believe! I have wondered whether all the finds were even worn together, or if some of it was simply trophies taken from the Sarmatians.

That's a very good point Duncan. The variety and inconclusive analysis of the finds makes it difficult to see how the equipage could be worn by one individual.
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Duncan Head

There's a brief summary of the article here which has a colour version of the helmet reconstruction.
Duncan Head