News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

The Evolution of the Manipular Legion in the Early Republic

Started by Jim Webster, June 10, 2018, 01:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

Thanks, Jim. Michael Taylor's articles are usually well worth reading.
Duncan Head

Jim Webster

Quote from: Duncan Head on June 10, 2018, 04:08:45 PM
Thanks, Jim. Michael Taylor's articles are usually well worth reading.
Yes I found it thought provoking, and well worth reading and pondering over  8)

Chuck the Grey

Thanks Jim for posting the link to this article. I did a quick read of the article and agree that it is interesting and thought provoking. Like you I'm not saying that he is correct, but definitely worth some thought. ;)

PMBardunias

I think part of the evolution is that in Italy the "phalanx" retained the archaic Greek character of being a barricade for missile troops, both behind the line and the hoplites themselves throwing missiles. What will become the Triarii, is easily explainable as the old shield-wall with Skirmishers, now turned into medium/heavy infantry by the simple addition of the scutum, ranged out in front and falling back behind. I do not know enough about these enigmatic troops, but if Rorarii were missile troops, they would be the holdover of the backing of missile troops seen in the archaic Greek phalanx of Tyrtaeus for example [though I have been told this is unlikely and that Rorarii are something different]  Main land Greeks for a variety of reasons cast off the function of standing in front of missile troops due to a need to add depth to formations and enter battle with a charge from outside of missile range. I have also wondered if the Ionian Greeks held onto archaic characteristics that facilitated their loss to Persia.

EDIT:  Just read Michael's paper.  I in general agree, for it is very much in line with my own thinking. Zmodikov is of course wrong in his assessment that the aspis cannot be held over the head- he must never have held one. It was nice to see the use of Greek antecendants to the maniples shown so clearly, this was something much talked about on RAT back in the day. Now I need to get a copy of "Armstrong, Jeremey. 2016. War and Society in Early Rome: From Generals to Warlords.Cambridge: Cambridge University Press." because he seems to agree on the warband character of the Triarii/Rorarii relationship. Anyone have a copy willing to take a few page pics for me?

If this topic interests you, you might enjoy an article I wrote last year on the function of shield-walls, which addresses the role of Triarii as shield-wall: Ancient Warfare XI.6 'Shifting shield-wall - The flexible phalanx'