News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Chevaux de Frise

Started by Keith, August 20, 2018, 10:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith

Is there any evidence that this defensive device was used in ancient times? I've just procured a couple of packs of the excellent Renedra 28mm reproduction of this stuff (for my SYW gaming), but wondered if its use might be justified in ancient engagements.

http://www.renedra.co.uk/product.php?product=264

Thanks in advance, Keith.

Duncan Head

They are supposedly of mediaeval Frisian origin, rather than ancient. There are similar devices in Ming Chinese manuals.

There is a suggestion that Imperial Roman palisade stakes, the shaped ones with a narrow "handgrip" in the centre, might have been tied to a beam as some sort of cheval-de-frise - see here - but I think it's just a guess.
Duncan Head

Erpingham

Duncan's already covered this (although most dictionary sources actually place the origin of the term in the Wars of Religion period, not the middle ages).  However, the term has been used by historians to mean a defence like anti-tank obstacles (also sometimes called by the name) and projected back into history e.g. this prehistoric fort defence at Inishmore in Ireland is referred to as a cheval-de-frise.

Keith

Thanks gents - that confirms what wikipedia told me! I suppose I could claim that my imaginary ancient states could have some imaginary field defences...