News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Starter book on Macedonian wars?

Started by Ade G, August 29, 2018, 04:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Ade G on September 04, 2018, 10:47:37 AM
I actually take the development of this little project seriously as well Patrick! There are now three of them actively painting ancient armies. I would like to think I "hooked" them with my charisma and brilliant wit ;-) but I think it is because I have presented the period in a narrative form and then provided armies for them to practice with. One has already asked to play Doubles at an ADLG tournament nest year.

Charisma and brilliant wit may have helped. :)  I would at any rate encourage others in a similar situation to present the period in narrative form and then provide armies for practice.  This is good pioneer work, Ade.

QuoteThe attitude of "I like them so I'll play them" has led to an awakening of memories from when I first started wargaming in the 70's - every Legion is Praetorian, every elephant armoured, every cavalryman elite etc. One chap who steadfastly refuses to even consider a historical army has purchased Early Imperial Roman figures for his Romano-British SAGA army, he then asked me for details of their shield designs as he wanted them to be accurate - irony seems to be absent with some people!

Too true!  Still, anyone taking a step in the right direction benefits from encouragement, so do keep up the good work.  I look forward to hearing about progress and reactions generally, good or otherwise.  We can learn from everything that happens.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill