News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Il-khanate

Started by nikgaukroger, September 03, 2018, 07:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikgaukroger

Looking for recommendations for books/articles on the Mongol Il-khanate in Persia. About all I have is the Amitai-Preiss book on the Mamluk-Mongol war.

Need not be wholly, or even mainly, about the military - but some military info would be nice  8)
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Duncan Head

Morgan's Medieval Persia is good for a very broad overview.
Duncan Head

nikgaukroger

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Andreas Johansson

I've got the second edition, and agree it's a good overview. The Further Reading section on the Ilkhanate period might be of particular interest for you.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 44 infantry, 16 cavalry, 0 chariots, 5 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

nikgaukroger

Tim

Nik wasting his money on a topic no-one has any interest in AGAIN, I see...

Duncan Head

Slight thread resurrection here: is Patrick Wing's The Jalayirids: Dynastic State Formation in the Mongol Middle East of any interest?

I added it to my to-read list a little while ago, so if anyone has read it I'd be interested in opinions.
Duncan Head

nikgaukroger

Certainly is of interest - many thanks  :)

Andreas Johansson

What did you, BTW, think of the Morgan book?
Lead Mountain 2024

nikgaukroger

Useful overview as people suggested.

nikgaukroger

Quote from: Duncan Head on January 21, 2019, 10:16:52 AM
Slight thread resurrection here: is Patrick Wing's The Jalayirids: Dynastic State Formation in the Mongol Middle East of any interest?

I added it to my to-read list a little while ago, so if anyone has read it I'd be interested in opinions.

Got it and am just reading it. Certainly of interest as I know very little about the area in that period, but not a lot that is directly military (so far).

Got me more interested in the Jalayirids - anyone any suggestions on more about them? Be interested to know what info the DBM (and other) army lists were based on for sure.

Duncan Head

The list is mostly taken from Nicolle's Osprey Age of Tamerlane and general histories like Morgan, IIRC.
Duncan Head

Andreas Johansson

Has anyone ever seen a Jalayirid army on a wargames table?

IIRC, Morgan had very little to say about them?
Lead Mountain 2024

nikgaukroger

Quote from: Duncan Head on February 01, 2019, 01:24:41 PM
The list is mostly taken from Nicolle's Osprey Age of Tamerlane and general histories like Morgan, IIRC.

So probably based on very thin material then.

nikgaukroger

Must say I am currently rather dubious about the idea in the DBM(M) lists that they relied on ghilman/mamalik due to unreliability of their Mongols.