News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Semlin era 15mm figures additional suggestions

Started by Swampster, October 18, 2022, 01:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampster

I read the article in Slingshot 341 and thought I would add a couple of ideas for figure choices.

The mid-12th century isn't very well served for Frankish knights. There are a few which cover the end of the century but these tend to include later features such as flat-top helmets or face masks on at least some of the figures. Legio Heroica's crusaders are mostly suitable.
The 12th century figures in Mirliton's Crusader range are based very closely on Eboli's Liber as Honorem Augusti, which places them in the last decade of the century, but they are generally suitable for earlier.
The Polish manufacturer QR miniatures has various useful figures. The War of Thrones range 'Krakow Knights' would work well, though the barded horse is unlikely to be the style of covering used by some at Semlin. QR also has a Magyar range which can supply cavalry in more traditional garb. There are plenty of choices for foot across the ranges which would be suitable and with a more Central European feel than the more generic ranges.   

Andreas Johansson

FWIW, Baueda claims their Siculo-Norman range are perfect for the 1st and 2nd crusades.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 44 cavalry, 0 chariots, 12 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

Duncan Head

Minifigs - who David Harvey mentioned when listing Byzantine figures - also do one of the few 12th-century Hungaruan cavalry, based on Ian Heath, plus a Cuman.
Duncan Head

Swampster

Quote from: Andreas Johansson on October 18, 2022, 03:05:50 PM
FWIW, Baueda claims their Siculo-Norman range are perfect for the 1st and 2nd crusades.
I'd expect to see more leg armour on the knights, though the 'MM lists seem to exaggerate this.

Swampster

Quote from: Duncan Head on October 18, 2022, 03:20:03 PM
Minifigs - who David Harvey mentioned when listing Byzantine figures - also do one of the few 12th-century Hungaruan cavalry, based on Ian Heath, plus a Cuman.
While Heath says 12th century, Nicolle says 1240. I am inclined to agree as well that the helmets are damaged kettle hats. Even the length of the armour could be exaggerated - the original figures seem to have remarkably short legs. - I think they are sitting (though more alert than soldiers at the Resurrection tend to be shown) so the armour could be intended to be more like thigh  or just knee (rather than below knee-) length. There are various images both Byzantine and Western with 'scale' armour of a similar length.
The figure Nicolle refers to as being stylistically similar is https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fontevivo_(10)_-_Pieve_di_San_Bernardo_-_lastra_sepolcrale_di_Guido_Pallavicino_in_armi_da_templare.JPG