Author Topic: Artilce: Armour of the Cataphractarius from the “Roshava Dragana” Burial Mound  (Read 92 times)

nikgaukroger

• Former Officer
  • Society Member
Looking at Academia.edu (as you do) came across this:

https://www.academia.edu/36784279/Armour_of_the_Cataphractarius_from_the_Roshava_Dragana_Burial_Mound

Not read it yet but the title was interesting  8)
  • Nik Gaukroger
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

DougM

• Society Member
    • A Lead Odyssey
  • Interests: Sasanians, DBMM, DBA, Baccus, Lion Rampant,
Looks like a real mix of styles, but some serious issues with reconstruction. A quick read through suggests they have lots of fragments but conflicting ideas about where the fragments should be..
  • Doug Melville
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."

Duncan Head

• Former Officer
  • Society Member
It's nice to see a proper article in English about this find. I'd not seen it called "Roshava Dragana" before, it's more often just "Catalka". I always found the leg-armour reconstruction shown in fig.40 a bit hard to believe! I have wondered whether all the finds were even worn together, or if some of it was simply trophies taken from the Sarmatians.
  • Duncan Head

DougM

• Society Member
    • A Lead Odyssey
  • Interests: Sasanians, DBMM, DBA, Baccus, Lion Rampant,
It's nice to see a proper article in English about this find. I'd not seen it called "Roshava Dragana" before, it's more often just "Catalka". I always found the leg-armour reconstruction shown in fig.40 a bit hard to believe! I have wondered whether all the finds were even worn together, or if some of it was simply trophies taken from the Sarmatians.

That's a very good point Duncan. The variety and inconclusive analysis of the finds makes it difficult to see how the equipage could be worn by one individual.
  • Doug Melville
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."

Duncan Head

• Former Officer
  • Society Member
There's a brief summary of the article here which has a colour version of the helmet reconstruction.
  • Duncan Head