News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Girl, 8, pulls a 1,500-year-old sword from a lake in Sweden

Started by Imperial Dave, October 04, 2018, 10:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45753455

if that was anywhere in the UK you would have Arthur enthusiasts beating a path to that lake :)
Slingshot Editor

Andreas Johansson

Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 44 infantry, 16 cavalry, 0 chariots, 5 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Duncan Head

Duncan Head

Imperial Dave

indeed yes....wonder if that one turned out to be the real deal....
Slingshot Editor

Imperial Dave

thanks Duncan

I just love the fact that she is called Saga!
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Holly on October 05, 2018, 11:30:30 AM
thanks Duncan

I just love the fact that she is called Saga!

Which, if I remember The Bridge, is pronounced Sah-ya and presumably a popular girls name.  Andreas might tell us whether there is any connection to saga meaning a story.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Andreas Johansson

It's an old name that's become fairly popular in the last couple decades: it would be distinctly unusual for someone in their 30s but not at all remarkable for an 8yo. It's pronounced Sah-ga with a hard 'g' in Swedish - at a guess, "Sah-ya" might be Danish.

I had assumed it was identical with with saga "story, fairytale" (pronounced identically), but WP informs me that that is folk etymology and it actually means "Seeress". Presumably that means it shares a root with English "see" (whereas saga the common noun shares one with "say").
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 44 infantry, 16 cavalry, 0 chariots, 5 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

Erpingham

QuoteIt's pronounced Sah-ga with a hard 'g' in Swedish - at a guess, "Sah-ya" might be Danish.

Just goes to show how little I was following it when I couldn't tell which of the two languages they were speaking  :(  I shall go back to trying to learn to pronounce Malmö, which seems to appear as a site of criminal activity in all Scandi crime thrillers.