News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Sassanid (or Sasanian) Persian Armies

Started by Patrick Waterson, July 16, 2012, 09:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangun

Is it normal to draw the bow across the horse like that?

Without having ever fired a bow from a moving horse... I would imagine one would draw parallel to the horse to reduce the risk of fouling the lower limb.

DougM

Quite normal, i have footage of the wife's cousin galloping and shooting cross the horse.
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Duncan Head

Quote from: Dangun on February 01, 2017, 01:10:10 PM
Is it normal to draw the bow across the horse like that?

Without having ever fired a bow from a moving horse... I would imagine one would draw parallel to the horse to reduce the risk of fouling the lower limb.

Not sure what you mean - which illustration are you looking at?
Duncan Head

Patrick Waterson

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Dangun

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on February 01, 2017, 08:46:31 PM
Quote from: Duncan Head on February 01, 2017, 02:01:52 PM
Not sure what you mean - which illustration are you looking at?

Is it this one, Nicholas?

My apologies for being vague.
Patrick, you are right, that is the one I meant.

Duncan Head

OK, I thought it might be that one, but I wasn't sure.

I'm not sure whether he is "draw(ing) the bow across the horse" at all, but the even odder thing is that he appears to be drawing the bow with the string behind his head. Certainly the relief is a bit anatomically strange, unless what we are seeing is actually meant to be the back of the rider's torso, not his chest. In that case, everything's perfectly correct for an archer aiming at a target somewhere off to his right.
Duncan Head

Dangun

Quote from: Duncan Head on February 02, 2017, 09:02:23 AM
I'm not sure whether he is "draw(ing) the bow across the horse" at all, but the even odder thing is that he appears to be drawing the bow with the string behind his head.

That is an interesting idea. I had assumed that we were looking at the rider's chest. Maybe we are looking at the rider's back?

If we are looking at his chest, then he has drawn his left hand back to his left shoulder - on the  left side of the horse - and is holding the bow in his right hand - on the right side of the horse - hence drawing across.

If we are looking at his back, then he has drawn his right hand back to his right shoulder and the bow is drawn parallel to the horse.

Duncan Head

Assuming for the moment that we are viewing the front of the torso, and he has the bow in his right hand - why are you surprised that he is "drawing across the horse"? How else would you shoot a bow at a target to that side of you? For example, this Timurid drawing.
Duncan Head

Dangun

Quote from: Duncan Head on February 02, 2017, 01:24:38 PM
Assuming for the moment that we are viewing the front of the torso, and he has the bow in his right hand - why are you surprised that he is "drawing across the horse"? How else would you shoot a bow at a target to that side of you? For example, this Timurid drawing.

Surprise is probably a little strong. My question was merely: "Is it normal to draw the bow across the horse like that?"
It may be completely normal, but it just struck me that there is not a lot of space between the archer, the horses head, and the horse's back in which to safety draw back the lower limb of the bow.
So I asked the question.

There will of course be situations where you don't have a choice - and quite a lot of situations if you are a left-handed archer (which this guy is, if we are looking at his chest) in a predominantly right-handed formation.

gavindbm

Anyone able to summarise the evidence for what type of horse armour (if any) was used by Sassanid cavalry - and/or point at when this was last discussed in Slingshot (so I can go look it up).

I have been reading Tom Holland's 'In the shadow of the sword' and the temptation to paint some Sassanids is rising...

Thanks in advance, Gavin

DougM

Quote from: Duncan Head on September 18, 2018, 09:05:35 AM
"Sasanian Horse Armor", by Patryk Skupniewicz

Yep. What he said. Though I am still to be convinced of the apron style as being widespread, and not perhaps Avar influenced via Byzantine practices.

My own view is that the earlier period would still have numbers of Parthian style cataphracts from the great Parthian houses, while Iranian cavalry would have some riders with more complete horse coverings in a variety of materials (leather and felt, sometimes fabric covered). Later styles would see the evolution of cataphract styles, (possibly including multi-part heavy armouring as per one interpretation of the Wixstam seal) and more sophisticated coverings for other cavalry including partial metallic armour (sometimes in fabric housings) together with more complete trappers in lighter materials.   
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Dangun

Quote from: Duncan Head on September 18, 2018, 09:05:35 AM
"Sasanian Horse Armor", by Patryk Skupniewicz

I liked the article.
But at least one of the images in the appendix are mislabelled as "Chinese," when the tombs they were taken form were of either Xianbei or Koguryo personages buried in what was not Chinese territory.

gavindbm

Thank you Duncan, Doug and Nicholas - article duly downloaded.

gavindbm

Next question - any one have any idea what the King of Kings "elevated golden throne" (DBMM army list notes) would have looked like?

Thanks in advance.