News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Far eastern horse armour

Started by nikgaukroger, October 03, 2018, 06:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas Johansson

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on January 29, 2019, 08:40:11 AM
William Raymond Gingell (1852). The Ceremonial Usages of the Chinese: B. C. 1121, as prescribed in the "Institutes of the Chow dynasty strung as pearls;" or, Chow le kwan choo. Smith, Elder, & co. p. 81.

I hear that the emperors of the Chow dynasty were a hungry bunch.

Something funny is going on regarding the date, because 1121 BC is a couple generations before the Zhou dynasty is supposed to have started.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 44 cavalry, 0 chariots, 12 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

Duncan Head

Quote from: Andreas Johansson on January 29, 2019, 09:29:54 AM
Quote from: Patrick Waterson on January 29, 2019, 08:40:11 AM
William Raymond Gingell (1852). The Ceremonial Usages of the Chinese: B. C. 1121, as prescribed in the "Institutes of the Chow dynasty strung as pearls;" or, Chow le kwan choo. Smith, Elder, & co. p. 81.

Something funny is going on regarding the date, because 1121 BC is a couple generations before the Zhou dynasty is supposed to have started.
It's one of the traditional start dates, before the modern consensus on chronology was established. For the 19th-century book cited, it would have been bang up to date.
Duncan Head

Dangun

Quote from: Duncan Head on January 29, 2019, 09:09:28 AM
By the time of the Sui, "rhino-hide armour" was probably a classical literary topos, because rhinos were no longer available in most of China - at least, so http://chinese-unicorn.com/ch16/ suggests, and I recall nothing in the modern writings on armour to make me doubt it.

I think it might just mean tough-as-rhino leather armour?

Patrick Waterson

Apparently the main species of rhino in China only became extinct during the 20th century; whether a steady supply of hide would have been available in Sui times is another matter.

This might be of interest.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Dangun

In a further exchange of email, David Graff added, "My understanding of this is that 獸文 refers to leather armor with the images of ferocious beasts (such as tigers) painted on," which helpfully confirms group 2 and 4s horse armour was leather.

In the thread above, I had previously described it as, "bestial armour probably leather?"

(80% of Academics are very nice.)

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Andreas Johansson on January 29, 2019, 09:29:54 AM

It was a Chow-eat-chow existence.

Quote from: Dangun on January 29, 2019, 10:29:11 PM
In a further exchange of email, David Graff added, "My understanding of this is that 獸文 refers to leather armor with the images of ferocious beasts (such as tigers) painted on," which helpfully confirms group 2 and 4s horse armour was leather.

In the thread above, I had previously described it as, "bestial armour probably leather?"

Good translator's instinct there, Nicholas.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Duncan Head

Quote from: Dangun on January 29, 2019, 10:29:11 PM

Intriguing - I don't recall seeing anything like that illustrated. Perhaps the "images" might be arranged something like this? Or perhaps it was just an elaborate monster-head chamfron?
Duncan Head

Dangun

Interesting Duncan do you know when and where that pottery piece is from?

Duncan Head

Quote from: Dangun on January 31, 2019, 02:57:15 PM
Interesting Duncan do you know when and where that pottery piece is from?
No. I can only find it on https://www.ceramicstudies.me.uk/frame1tu11.html, which says it's Northern Wei but no more than that.
Duncan Head