News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

The Most Ancient Intact Shipwreck Found To Date

Started by Nick Harbud, October 23, 2018, 04:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Harbud

Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

And it confirms that merchant ships, at least as of the 4th century BC but presumably also some centuries earlier, given the vase details, used oars.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Erpingham

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on October 23, 2018, 08:36:08 PM
And it confirms that merchant ships, at least as of the 4th century BC but presumably also some centuries earlier, given the vase details, used oars.

Some merchant ships at least.  Given the way this type is shown in vase paintings it would be interesting to see how many benches they counted on a real one.

Jim Webster

From what I remember there should be a lot more, as the Black Sea has bizarre conditions, a deep layer without oxygen?

Mick Hession

Quote from: Jim Webster on October 24, 2018, 10:16:57 AM
From what I remember there should be a lot more, as the Black Sea has bizarre conditions, a deep layer without oxygen?
Yes, the report I read says they found lots of stuff in the search area, including a 17th century Cossack fleet.

Cheers
Mick

aligern

The goddess, La Roberts, brightened all our mornings by telling us that the de oxygenated layer in the Black Sea would not support many of the organisms that cause the decay of sunken timbers. Unfortunately the timbers would apparently be too feeble for the ship to be brought to the surface ( it is a very long way down!).
Roy

Erpingham

The depth should keep it from the attentions of looters at least.

Andreas Johansson

Quote from: Jim Webster on October 24, 2018, 10:16:57 AM

Word of the day: euxinic, adj, (of water) lacking oxygen and rich in sulfide.

From a Greek name of the Black Sea, Pontos Euxeinos "Hospitable Sea".

Euxinic conditions are rare in the modern world, the Black Sea being the most notable example, but has been widespread in the oceans at some points in geology history.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 44 cavalry, 0 chariots, 12 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

Dangun

No obvious reason why it sank either?

Rudder still in place.
Mast still erecting.
No obvious hull punctures.
And there looks to be an oar lying across the deck despite the boat having sunk for 2km.
Odd.

Erpingham

RichT

Capsize is always most likely, especially with narrow ships. Down to some combo of strong wind, badly stowed cargo or sailing error.

Nick Harbud

Quote from: Dangun on October 24, 2018, 02:46:12 PM
No obvious reason why it sank either?

Rudder still in place.
Mast still erecting.
No obvious hull punctures.
And there looks to be an oar lying across the deck despite the boat having sunk for 2km.
Odd.

This should not come as any surprise.  I mean, over two millennia later the Royal Navy came up with the K-Class submarines.  Of the 18 built, 6 sank - 1 of them spontaneously at its moorings in Portsmouth Harbour.  ::)
Nick Harbud

Erpingham

It's an open boat.  It could easily, as Rich said, have gone over if it had gone beam on to a heavy swell or just been swamped by heavy waves.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor