News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Inscribed Babylonian tablet recovered at Heathrow customs

Started by Duncan Head, March 10, 2019, 02:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/mar/10/babylonian-treasure-seized-at-heathrow-to-be-returned-to-iraq

QuoteIt dates from the reign of the Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar I (about 1126-1103 BC), not to be confused with his famous later namesake Nebuchadnezzar II (605-562 BC).

This ruler is practically unknown beyond his victory over the kingdom of Elam in present-day Iran, when he recovered the cultic idol of the Babylonian state god, Marduk. The kudurru's inscription refers to a military campaign, perhaps that very one.

This is of course the campaign discussed in http://soa.org.uk/sm/index.php?topic=1498.0
Duncan Head

Swampster

I knew they had dogs to sniff out tablets, but didn't think it would be this kind.

aligern

Following upnthe reference to he earlier discussion that Duncan gives I see that the king of the Medes chariots and horsemen are scattered. Should a Mede army have chariots, or is that statement just  a formulaic way of describing victory?

Duncan Head

Quote from: aligern on March 11, 2019, 08:16:58 AM
Following upnthe reference to he earlier discussion that Duncan gives I see that the king of the Medes chariots and horsemen are scattered. Should a Mede army have chariots, or is that statement just  a formulaic way of describing victory?

I assume that you're looking at Patrick's long quote in the 4th post - "he overthrew all the power of Arphaxad, and all his horsemen, and all his chariots"?

(a) This passage probably refers to Nebuchadnezzar II (if "Nabuchodonosor" is a Nebuchadnezzar at all, and not some other figure entirely) whereas the Heathrow tablet is of Nebuchadnezzar I, and I think that we all eventually agreed that the kudurru that's the basis of the earlier battle account belongs to Nebuchadnezzar I as well.

(b) The source of the quotation is the Book of Judith, which is not widely regarded as entirely historical, and may be a complete fiction.

(c) Even if the book is a broadly historical record of a 7th-century campaign against the Medes, then I would share your suspicions that the phrase might be a topos, and would not regard it as a reliable source for Median chariots.

(d) OTOH, a few chariots in a 7th-century Median army would not seem out of the question. I believe the DB** lists allow chariot-mounted generals.
Duncan Head