News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

"Parthian" or Syrian warrior figurine

Started by Duncan Head, December 12, 2018, 10:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

There's an interesting figurine that I hadn't seen before at:
http://store.barakatgallery.com/product/parthian-faience-figure-of-a-warrior/

Conical helmet with a scale neckguard, what looks like mail or scale armour, short sword on the right hip, looks like a bow slung on the back. Said to be from Syria, which perhaps casts doubt on the "Parthian" identification.  Rather reminds me of the "Eastern auxiliary archers" on Trajan's Column whom some analysts are keen to dismiss as artistic fictions. Does anyone have any comments or know of any parallels?
Duncan Head

aligern

That really does look like a Trajan's column figure!
I wonder why they are doubted, the cistume seems eminently practical and comes from an area a that would have long robes in the wardrobe.
Roy

Duncan Head

Duncan Head

Jim Webster

Certainly the Faience Figure of a Warrior looks eminently sensible and given it's from Syria and I see it easily being a Roman auxiliary, or even a Palmyran archer
He could even be a dismounted cavalryman?

aligern

I wasn't impressed by the arguments in the paper for the Eastern archers being an invention. . Whilst the figures on the column are liable to embroidery and enhancement the comment on the long robes being kaftan like is wrong. Moreover if the archers were raised as mercenaries it is entirely possible that they had a general style of armour that was varied in structure and particularly ornament as the men bought their own equipment.
Roy

Patrick Waterson

We seem to be fairly unanimous about the archer being most probably Syrian.

Does he have any features at all that we could consider Parthian (as opposed to generically Middle Eastern)?
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

aligern

The problem with 'Parthian' is that it is indicative of an empire and thus contains many peoples. The figure is not 'classic Parthian'  i.e with baggy chaps and a crossover jacket, butthat doesnot disbar him from being from An area within the Parthian state.
Th figure at. https://i2.wp.com/www.biblioiranica.info/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Stucco-relief-of-an-infantry-soldier-from-the-Iranian-Parthian-Dynasty-247-BC-224-AD-Zahhak-castle-Hashtrud-Eastern-Azerbaijan-Iran.-Azerbaijan-Museum-Tabriz-Iran..jpg

Should put the point against any idea that this  figure is necessarily wearing any form of steppe kaftan.
Roy

Duncan Head

The Zahhak Castle warrior is a fascinating chap who deserves a proper study, which I am not aware he has had. His shield reminds me very much of the Domitius Ahenobarbus scuta, his long robe girded up in front over tight trousers is the style worn on reliefs of Commagenean and Adiabenean kings, and his curved dagger is reminiscent of early Parthian examples - or foreign trophies - from Old Nisa. He's presumably an Atropatenean Mede. It's such a shame that the helmet (or cap?) and the spear are incomplete.

As for the Barakat Gallery faience warrior, I don't think there's anything about him that need come from outside Syria - nor that would put him in any particular place within it. He could have served a Parthian or indeed a Roman overlord. For what it's worth, I'd suggest that the sword on the right hip would be quite rare in a Parthian context - I think most or all of the swords at Hatra for instance are worn on the left  - and might be a Western feature.
Duncan Head

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Duncan Head on December 14, 2018, 03:36:33 PM
For what it's worth, I'd suggest that the sword on the right hip would be quite rare in a Parthian context - I think most or all of the swords at Hatra for instance are worn on the left  - and might be a Western feature.

Interesting point.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill