News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Oedipus, Akhenaten and Tutankhamun's Civil War

Started by Patrick Waterson, December 16, 2018, 10:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Erpingham on December 22, 2018, 07:40:56 PM
At some point, it might be trying the argument on people with more knowledge of Egyptology, just be sure  :)

Oh, yes.  I have some in mind.

QuoteI am curious what you need it for.  A novel in the style of Christian Jacq perhaps?

Unlike some members, I am not very good at novels, otherwise that would be an excellent idea (as nominal 'fiction', it would abrade less against 'orthodox' susceptibilities).  This is for a probe through Egyptian history, to see just how far the revised chronology and its spin-offs can actually go without bumping into dead ends.

What I am finding is that instead of hitting blocks and incompatibilities, new avenues are opening up and new connections being made.  To take an inconsequential example: earlier in this thread, I mentioned Thebes being held foremost in honour/esteem.  Richard T correctly pointed out the context, that the esteem was conferred by Dionysius (the Roman Bacchus), Thebes' hometown deity.  So I checked Dionysius' Egyptian equivalent (Osiris) and looked up his hometown.  And surprise surprise, it was Egyptian Thebes*.  It looks as if we may have another case of cross-cultural transfer.

*Although Osiris had the unique distinction of being buried in parts throughout Egypt, the 'Tomb of Osiris' is at Thebes.

More significantly, the revised chronology means that Herodotus' pharaohs suddenly make a lot of sense and open up vistas of context for the remainder of New Kingdom Egyptian history.  With Herodotus an open book* it is even possible to correct a couple of Velikovsky's self-imposed misapprehensions, namely about the placement of Horemheb and the dating of the Trojan War.  The overall scheme fits nicely; the challenge is delving into details, and so far the details are overwhelmingly compatible - even supportive - as opposed to causing puzzles and problems.

*Worst pun of 2018 award?

With any grand scheme there is always the danger of disposing of small amounts of 'inconvenient' evidence because it is 'just a blip' or 'an anomaly' or 'there is doubtless some explanation which we have not considered yet'.  What I find interesting - even gratifying - is that the small details are fitting in with remarkable precision and accuracy.

Anyway, enough for now.  Let the festive season commence!
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill