News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Hoplite Shield Grip Question

Started by Dangun, December 28, 2018, 06:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangun

I saw this the other day...

https://imgur.com/t3K8WlC

...a hoplite's grave stele.

I was just wondering whether his left hand was holding a grip that was unusually close/on the rim?
Or is it perhaps just an abstraction of the more familiar and more detailed...

https://i.imgur.com/QKRmQgp

Dangun

Sorry for the false start, I've discovered how to do the photo insert thing!!

Duncan Head

Looks to me like a slight distortion to fit the shield in the space avaiable.
Duncan Head

RichT

Looks to me like a no entry sign...

Duncan Head

When I commented two days ago, the images were visible. Now they're not.
Duncan Head

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Duncan Head on January 01, 2019, 03:26:06 PM
When I commented two days ago, the images were visible. Now they're not.

This will depend upon whether and when Nicholas is online, the images being based in his computer.

[Edit: gave 'will' its second 'l'.]
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Dangun

OK. I am confused.
In this thread I have included a URL for the pictures as a link, and used the identical URL for the "img".
The link works but the IMG does not.
Why is that?

nikgaukroger

IIRC Google hosted photos do not appear on forums - they don't allow it. You need to use a different host - I use Imgur but Flickr, Photobucket and others work as well.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Dangun

Quote from: nikgaukroger on January 03, 2019, 08:21:32 AM
IIRC Google hosted photos do not appear on forums - they don't allow it.

Thanks!
I was feeling really stupid there for a moment.

Erpingham

Quote from: Dangun on January 03, 2019, 11:18:00 AM
Quote from: nikgaukroger on January 03, 2019, 08:21:32 AM
IIRC Google hosted photos do not appear on forums - they don't allow it.

Thanks!
I was feeling really stupid there for a moment.

I think you could upload a photo to a yahoo group photo section (e.g. ancmed) and link from there.  But I haven't tried.

Dangun

Quote from: Erpingham on January 03, 2019, 11:20:32 AM
I think you could upload a photo to a yahoo group photo section (e.g. ancmed) and link from there.  But I haven't tried.

I switched to IMGUR, and it seems to be working...

Duncan Head

One article suggests that this stele, the monument to Dionysios of Kardia from Cyprus, may be:

Quoteprobably the earliest example and the closest that Cypriot art ever came to the depiction of a hoplite, although Cypriots were probably aware of the hoplitic tactics and equipment since the Archaic period.

So it may just be that the sculptor wasn't familiar with the problems of a convincing depiction of the hoplite shield and its grip.
Duncan Head

Dangun

Quote from: Duncan Head on January 03, 2019, 11:36:45 AM
So it may just be that the sculptor wasn't familiar with the problems of a convincing depiction of the hoplite shield and its grip.

I liked your earlier suggestion even better - the problem of depicting a large round object on a tall thin one. The person would have been carved first - its a bit higher - and then the sculptor may have gone "bugger... I wanted to keep it all to scale."

Patrick Waterson

Images are present and correct now. :)

I wonder if this particular relief was meant to be a depiction of a shield managed by a strap rather than the usual handle arrangement.  Just a guess, really; the elbow seems to be in the wrong place for the usual porpax.

Or it might be intended to depict one of these.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Duncan Head

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on January 03, 2019, 07:42:45 PMOr it might be intended to depict one of these.

Boiotian shields are shown as oval, not round, so I suspect probably not.
Duncan Head