News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

A Double-headed Axe from Horseback?

Started by Dangun, January 03, 2019, 11:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangun

Saw this wandering around in a museum...

Is there anything historical here? Where did they get the inspiration from?
Even if there's not, the miniature appeals me.

https://i.imgur.com/iWJzd7P

Its Greek, 4th century BC.

Andreas Johansson

Any indication who or what the rider is supposed to be? Conventional wisdom would have it that Greek cavalry adopted shields only in the 3C BC, and that's a curiously shaped shield.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 44 infantry, 16 cavalry, 0 chariots, 5 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

Erpingham

Quote from: Andreas Johansson on January 03, 2019, 11:30:51 AM
Any indication who or what the rider is supposed to be? Conventional wisdom would have it that Greek cavalry adopted shields only in the 3C BC, and that's a curiously shaped shield.

From my limited understanding of Greek artistic themes, it could be a mounted Amazon.  They often have fancy shields and axes - a sort of fantasy Persian style.

Duncan Head

One of the common weapon combinations for Amazons, though that "elaborated" pelte is a bit unusual for so early a date:

http://zeevgoldmann.blogspot.com/2008/08/vi-pelta-amazon-shield.html

Sekunda argued somewhere, IIRC, that the appearance of shielded Amazon cavalry in Greek art in the 4th century reflected an adoption of shields by some Persian cavalry. Not convinced myself. You can see Thracian cavalry with peltai - slung, not in use on horseback - in even earlier art (eg here figure 1).
Duncan Head

Dangun

If it is indeed Amazonmachy, is it pure fantasy?
Or like the helmet in this image, or the speculative suggestion mentioned by Duncan that the appearance of Amazon shields reflected the historical Persian adoption of shields, does that axe reflect something?
I am not particularly familiar with this period or the details of Amazonia.

Erpingham

Quote from: Duncan Head on January 03, 2019, 11:49:15 AM
One of the common weapon combinations for Amazons, though that "elaborated" pelte is a bit unusual for so early a date:
Agree.  It's rather stylised.  More like this

Are they sure its so early?

Duncan Head

Quote from: Dangun on January 03, 2019, 12:10:51 PM
If it is indeed Amazonmachy, is it pure fantasy?
Or like the helmet in this image, or the speculative suggestion mentioned by Duncan that the appearance of Amazon shields reflected the historical Persian adoption of shields, does that axe reflect something?

Offhand, I am aware of no excavated functional double-headed axes later than the Bronze Age, except for one iron example from Punic Sicily. So I think it is no more than an artistic expression. Could be wrong, though.
Duncan Head

Patrick Waterson

If I remember correctly, we do get occasional reference to sagaris-armed cavalry in classical authors.  The term seems to have embraced both battle-axe and war hammer, and Duncan and others may have rather more to say about it than I can muster, particularly whether the term could have embraced a double-headed axe.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Duncan Head

Sagaris means, and as far as I can see only means, the Iranian/steppe weapon with a pick-point on one side and an axe-head or hammer-head on the other. The double-bladed axe would be either labrys or pelekys. So I don't think you'll find much help looking in that direction.
Duncan Head

Dangun

Quote from: Erpingham on January 03, 2019, 12:59:31 PM

No, sorry. Just read the label on the wall.

If its an entirely fictional motif, its a curiously stable motif, because I believe the date on that mosaic in your post is 400AD.

I know only two data points gives us a line with only very low confidence, it makes the double headed axe unlikely the inspiration of a single sculptor. But for a motif that has persisted for at least c. 700-800 years, I am surprised to not have seen it more often.

Erpingham

Quote from: Dangun on January 03, 2019, 10:57:44 PM
Quote from: Erpingham on January 03, 2019, 12:59:31 PM

No, sorry. Just read the label on the wall.

If its an entirely fictional motif, its a curiously stable motif, because I believe the date on that mosaic in your post is 400AD.

I know only two data points gives us a line with only very low confidence, it makes the double headed axe unlikely the inspiration of a single sculptor. But for a motif that has persisted for at least c. 700-800 years, I am surprised to not have seen it more often.

These are 2nd AD Roman.  From two different sources but I think the same sarcophagus.

Just to prove there are earlier examples of the double-axe, this is from Cyprus c.330-310 BC (note extra sleeves - a sleeved cloak?)

Add : This is the earliest Amazon with a three-lobe pelta I can find c. 300 BC

Dangun

Quote from: Erpingham on January 04, 2019, 08:59:31 AM
Just to prove there are earlier examples of the double-axe, this is from Cyprus c.330-310 BC.

The original one I posted was also from Cyprus and labelled as 4th C. BC.
The double headed axe is an interestingly persistent meme. I would love to know its origin.

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Dangun on January 05, 2019, 06:47:47 AM
The double headed axe is an interestingly persistent meme. I would love to know its origin.

This page might be a start.  Scroll down to the shaft hole axes ...
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Ade G

May be way off-beam here but do recall axes being mentioned in relation to Phrygians - this may be from a very ancient Funken book in the 70's so treat with caution

Erpingham

Quote from: Ade G on January 05, 2019, 12:18:32 PM
May be way off-beam here but do recall axes being mentioned in relation to Phrygians - this may be from a very ancient Funken book in the 70's so treat with caution

Armies and Uniforms 1 Ancient Egypt to 18th century, p29.  "Phrygian with Double-Axe, a much favoured weapon"

The figure is dressed very like an Amazon in Persian dress - a case of mistaken identity?  The ornate three-horned pelta also makes an appearance as a Phrygian shield.

IIRC, Garrison had an armoured Phrygian axe-man in their persian range.

FWIW, it seems to me we have two types of axes associated with Amazons - the steppe type with axe blade on one side and spike on the other and a "double-axe", which seems to hark back to the Greek bronze age past.  Is the double-axe a real weapon or a sign we are dealing with the heroic past?