News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Was the original settlement of Iceland earlier than we thought?

Started by Jim Webster, February 13, 2019, 09:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas Johansson

Interesting.

Raises a semantic issue re "settlement", though - if this was a non-permanent camp, does it count as a "settlement"?

It does strike me as a bit weird to build such large structures for a seasonal camp, BTW. If something of this size had been found in Scandinavia, wouldn't we be thinking something like "chieftain's meadhall" rather than seasonal camp? The article doesn't say anything about any finds suggesting any particular purpose to the construction.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 44 infantry, 16 cavalry, 0 chariots, 5 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

Jim Webster

Quote from: Andreas Johansson on February 13, 2019, 10:01:48 AM
Interesting.

Raises a semantic issue re "settlement", though - if this was a non-permanent camp, does it count as a "settlement"?

It does strike me as a bit weird to build such large structures for a seasonal camp, BTW. If something of this size had been found in Scandinavia, wouldn't we be thinking something like "chieftain's meadhall" rather than seasonal camp? The article doesn't say anything about any finds suggesting any particular purpose to the construction.

I got the impression there may still be a lot of discussion within archaeological circles over exactly what it is. As you say, it seems an awfully big structure for a seasonal camp.

Erpingham

I was put in mind of L'Anse aux Meadows, another short-lived pioneering settlement.  Again, it isn't certain whether this was a settlement that didn't thrive or an intentionally temporary base for resource exploitation.