News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Roman uniforms and shield patterns at Telamon

Started by Dave Beatty, March 14, 2019, 12:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Beatty

With Battle Day rapidly approaching I am finishing up my Romans and wonder what the Society members might know about Roman uniforms (colors in particular ie were they, well, "uniform" or did each soldier show up with whatever he had lying around the house?). Also, were there particular patterns to the oval scutum in each legion at this time or were the Romans using individual patterns (or, better yet, no patterns at all, just solid colors as shown in the Osprey book?).

Duncan Head

We know nothing.

Clothing wasn't yet usually issued. There is limited evidence for a preference for red, like Isidore's (very late!) claim that "in the days of the consuls" Roman soldiers were called russati, but it's probably more of a feeling that red is the appropriate colour for war than a uniform.

There is some way to tell shields apart - as at Metaurus when Hasdrubal saw some old shields he didn't recognise - but no indication that this was because of blazons. The earliest shields in sculpture are plain and unpatterned, except for one in Spain (perhaps of Scipionic date) with a wolf's head on the boss. What may be the earliest painting shows plain white shields.
Duncan Head

aligern

White tunics, well slightly off white tunics were likely the standard because that appears to have been standard wear.  Having a really bright white tunic was a special distinction, hence 'candidati' as a term of distinction. As the various grades if legionary  were formed by distinction of wealth it might fit to have the triarii in red, perhaps centurions in red too?
The style of Republican Romans is not really showy and public display was frowned on as a bit infra dig. That would chime with being in plain homespun garments and letting their results do the talking.
Roy

Dave Beatty

Great, thanks that makes my job lots easier!!