News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Roman and prehistoric remains uncovered by new road construction

Started by Imperial Dave, June 22, 2019, 07:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Jim Webster on June 24, 2019, 10:06:58 PM
Quote from: Holly on June 24, 2019, 09:51:03 PM
Hardknott well worth a visit...although last time I was up there I was on my bike.......ouch

I came down Hardknott pass on a bike, one lad with us had steel rims on his wheels and they got that hot because of the brakes that his innertube melted and he got a puncture!

I was going the other way so the only thing that melted was my thigh muscles!
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on June 24, 2019, 10:07:43 PM
Quote from: Jim Webster on June 24, 2019, 10:06:58 PM
Quote from: Holly on June 24, 2019, 09:51:03 PM
Hardknott well worth a visit...although last time I was up there I was on my bike.......ouch

I came down Hardknott pass on a bike, one lad with us had steel rims on his wheels and they got that hot because of the brakes that his innertube melted and he got a puncture!

I was going the other way so the only thing that melted was my thigh muscles!

That I can believe!

RichT

Hardknott is great - got to walk to it of course! Ravenglass has a smattering of Roman stuff too. A bit further up the coast Maryport is well worth a visit for the Senhouse Roman Museum

Jim Webster

The Harbour at Whitehaven is quite nice. Indeed the town has been tidied up a bit since John Paul Jones tried to burn it down but discovered that he'd not got any matches and tried to borrow them from locals

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Jim Webster on June 25, 2019, 09:36:38 AM
The Harbour at Whitehaven is quite nice. Indeed the town has been tidied up a bit since John Paul Jones tried to burn it down but discovered that he'd not got any matches and tried to borrow them from locals

Apparently Jones' raiding party also stopped for a drink or three at the nearest pub while on their hunt for matches.  Eventually finding some, they set fire to a coal ship, hoping it would create a harbour-wide blaze - but as soon as they left for their own ship the townsfolk brought up two fire engines (such as they were back then) and extinguished the fire.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Tim