News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Chinese Western Han Cavalry: uniforms and banner holder

Started by JVH, August 21, 2013, 08:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JVH

I recently was fortunate enough to visit the Royal Ontario Museum and saw, amongst other items of interest, 'ten mounted soldiers'. These are pottery miniatures and range, I would guess, from about 12 to 18 inches in height. They are described as 200 BC – 24 AD Western Han dynasty. Here is a photograph shown by kind permission of the Royal Ontario Museum. The burial figures are on display in the Joey and Toby Tanenbaum Gallery of China.

I know these sorts of burial figures are quite common but two features struck me. First the colours: they are painted in a uniform of red, white and brown trim. The illustration in the Osprey publication on Imperial Chinese Armies would seem to match this sort of design well. Second, the piece of equipment on the largest figure. This is tentatively identified as the commander, although he does not wear any visible armour. On his back is a piece of equipment that is described as a banner holder. It would appear to allow four small banners to be inserted. I do not know if this sort of equipment has been identified previously and it would be interesting to know from other members. 

John Hogan

Duncan Head

It looks more like a quiver for crossbow-bolts to me: those are sometimes back-slung on Western Han figurines. See http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/index.php?/topic/14489-han-crossbow-ammunition-and-logistics/page-2 for example.
Duncan Head

JVH

tadamson

You would have to check the dig report. It may be a banner holder (with several small flags), or a quiver, but quite a few of these tomb figurines seem to have been used as incense holders, so that may be a possibility.  My gut feel is that it held small flags.

Tom..

Duncan Head

Thread necromancy here ...

http://dragonsarmory.blogspot.com/2019/03/rare-han-plumed-cavalryman.html discusses these very finds and suggests that they are indeed holders for feathered back banners.
Duncan Head

evilgong