News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Cohort standards

Started by bigredbat, August 27, 2019, 11:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigredbat

I'm putting together a Caesarian Roman army which will include many standards, and I've realised that I've no idea what metal the various discs, hands and eagles were fashioned from (or plated in).  Do we know, please?

Duncan Head

To be pedantic, there probably weren't cohort standards in the Caesarian army - at least, not in the legions. Each century had a standard.

http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEquipment-Signum.html has a couple of survivng bits of Early Imperial standards, which are silver or silver-plated, and that's probably commonest.
Duncan Head

bigredbat

Ah very true, Duncan!  :-)   

Silver, it is, then, with perhaps a little gilt.

Thanks Simon

Chuck the Grey

No grit Simon. I doubt that the centurion, or even the optio, would accept anything other than clean, highly polished metal parts on the standard. If there is one thing consistent about armies through out history it's that officers and sergeants like bright, shiny metal things. Kind of like wargamers.  ;)

bigredbat

No grit- I could see that some of the silver medallions had gilt details.  :-)   I think my eagles may be gilded, too.

Chuck the Grey

Oops, my bad. Shouldn't try and read things on the forum after a long day at work. My apologies, Sir. I will now slink back into obscurity.  :-[

bigredbat

:-)  Normally I'm up for a bit of dust, or grit, but as you say- this is the time for shiny!