News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Anglo-Norman coin hoard found in Somerset

Started by Duncan Head, August 28, 2019, 02:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

Quote from: Duncan Head on August 28, 2019, 02:36:35 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/aug/28/huge-hoard-norman-coins-reveals-millennium-old-tax-scam

I'm not quite sure where the "tax dodge" comes in.

The implication seems to be a moneyer paid a fee to the Crown for each die, rather than set of dies.  So, you could produce a new obverse with the new king while continuing with your old die for the reverse, making a saving.  I think that's the implication but it isn't clear.

Duncan Head

Duncan Head

Tim

The bit that struck me was the twice as many Harold coins as the total previously discovered in the whole of the UK. I do hope it goes on display at some point.

Jim Webster

What struck me was the comment "They soon had a bucket containing a staggering number of coins, probably worth millions of pounds. The total hoard value would have been enough to buy a flock of 500 sheep in 1067-68, but its precise value today has yet to be revealed."

You could probably look to buy 500 breeding sheep now for £60,000 at the most. Which if nothing else proves that if you're going for a long term investment, silver is better than sheep  ;)

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Jim Webster on August 29, 2019, 06:25:16 AM
You could probably look to buy 500 breeding sheep now for £60,000 at the most. Which if nothing else proves that if you're going for a long term investment, silver is better than sheep  ;)

Although if you add in the respective breeding rates over nearly a thousand years, the sheep end up well ahead. :)
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Jim Webster

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on August 29, 2019, 06:36:43 AM
Quote from: Jim Webster on August 29, 2019, 06:25:16 AM

Although if you add in the respective breeding rates over nearly a thousand years, the sheep end up well ahead. :)

;D

Mark G

Erpingham

I'm sure there is a biblical precedent for this.  If you bury your talent as opposed to investing it (e.g. in sheep) you rate as a worthless servant.

Jim Webster

Quote from: Erpingham on August 29, 2019, 11:28:12 AM
I'm sure there is a biblical precedent for this.  If you bury your talent as opposed to investing it (e.g. in sheep) you rate as a worthless servant.

Interestingly the word used is trapezitais in Greek which is apparently 'tables' but means bankers.
The other two who doubled their money obviously didn't go to the bankers, but equally there is a general feeling within the industry that if they'd managed to do this with sheep, the presence of the miraculous within the tale would have detracted from the message  ;)

evilgong

Hi there

>>>>>>>>>>>

Which if nothing else proves that if you're going for a long term investment, silver is better than sheep
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It's been a long time since my family was into agriculture, but I suspect burying sheep for future use is not a good strategy.

Regards

David F brown

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: evilgong on August 30, 2019, 04:22:00 AM
It's been a long time since my family was into agriculture, but I suspect burying sheep for future use is not a good strategy.

;D
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill