News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Black African Abbasids

Started by Ade G, October 02, 2019, 05:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ade G

Hi, can anyone point me towards how Abbasid abid would have been clothed?

Duncan Head

The only hint I can recall finding is that Tabari's account of the Zanj Revolt records one black government soldier being wounded because he was mistaken for one of the rebels. That suggests (a) no real uniform, and (b) given that the Zanj rebels were oppressed slave workers, the soldiers probably weren't all that well dressed either.
Duncan Head

nikgaukroger

I'd be careful about saying that the Zanj would be poorly dressed. Even though they were, in part, ex-slaves, they were for quite a while fairly successful, capturing towns (indeed having a capital city) which would give them opportunity to upgrade their look.

But I'd agree that it is most likely that the government infantry would look fairly similar and both would wear normal clothes for the area.

As an aside, I don't believe any 'Abbasid infantry are ever termed as 'abid in contemporary sources - the term comes from the Fatimid period, the 'abid al-shira. I may have forgotten something though  :P
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Duncan Head

This incident was quite early in the revolt, so before much sartorial upgrading was likely.
Duncan Head

Ade G

Quote from: nikgaukroger on October 02, 2019, 09:11:45 PM
I'd be careful about saying that the Zanj would be poorly dressed. Even though they were, in part, ex-slaves, they were for quite a while fairly successful, capturing towns (indeed having a capital city) which would give them opportunity to upgrade their look.

But I'd agree that it is most likely that the government infantry would look fairly similar and both would wear normal clothes for the area.

As an aside, I don't believe any 'Abbasid infantry are ever termed as 'abid in contemporary sources - the term comes from the Fatimid period, the 'abid al-shira. I may have forgotten something though  :P

You are quite correct on the name 'abid being later - I incorrectly used it as a term for Black troops in Arab armies Nik

Thanks

AG

Ade G

Quote from: Duncan Head on October 02, 2019, 08:58:14 PM
The only hint I can recall finding is that Tabari's account of the Zanj Revolt records one black government soldier being wounded because he was mistaken for one of the rebels. That suggests (a) no real uniform, and (b) given that the Zanj rebels were oppressed slave workers, the soldiers probably weren't all that well dressed either.

Thanks for that Duncan. I have just found out my copy of Kennedy's 'Armies of the Caliphates as I think he mentions the Zanj a couple of times.

Cheers

AG