News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Islamic leather armour

Started by Erpingham, November 03, 2019, 09:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

Here's another David Nicolle article that has popped up in my reading.  As the book it is from is in Russian, I've no idea of the date.  It may be old and well known - Duncan will no doubt tell us :)  But, if you like leather lamellar and leather helmets, give it a go.

Duncan Head

Can't get the link to open at the moment - "site took too long to respond". Is the article about the Damascus citadel finds, or more general?
Duncan Head

Erpingham

Quote from: Duncan Head on November 04, 2019, 01:58:49 PM
Can't get the link to open at the moment - "site took too long to respond". Is the article about the Damascus citadel finds, or more general?

It was OK for me yesterday, so should come right.  It has a lot on the Damascas citadel finds but other pieces are illustrated, including so-called "Tibetan" types (i.e. Middle Eastern armours thought to resemble Tibetan forms).

Quick correction : The Tibetan armour is from Turkmenistan, so more central Asian, though there are text references to Tibetan armour in 10th century Tarsus.

Duncan Head

Ah yes, got it now, Much of it is indeed new to me - thanks.

The following article, John Masson Smith on Mongol warfare, looks interesting as well.
Duncan Head

Dangun

Quote from: Erpingham on November 04, 2019, 02:17:13 PM
Quick correction : The Tibetan armour is from Turkmenistan, so more central Asian, though there are text references to Tibetan armour in 10th century Tarsus.

I don't think you need to correct, because the Tibetans occupied that fort - Miran in the 8th c. (as per Slingshot 319).
Its well attested, there is the path of conquest documented by the Tibetan histories and a huge pile of wooden military order slips written in Tibetan was recovered from the Miran fort.