News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Save the Date: Society of Ancients Conference 2020: 31 October/1st November

Started by Richard Lockwood, November 28, 2019, 10:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

thanks John. As you put it, the unintended consequence of the covid restrictions may give rise to a broader audience for the conference
Slingshot Editor

holdfast

Good Evening to the Members,
We are now 10 days out from our first virtual conference.
The programme for the Conference looks like this:

Sat 31 Oct 1600-1800 UK Time
                Simon Elliott: The Classis Britannica.
                Phil Steele: The Arab Conquest.
Sun 1 Nov 1600-1800 UK Time
                Matt Bennett: The Normans in the Mediterranean.
                John Curry: Random Insights into Practical Medieval Warfare.

We hope that each talk will last 60 minutes which will be about 45 minutes from each presenter and 15 minutes of Q and A, moderated by Richard Lockwood.
Members are invited to email Richard Jeffrey-Cook on <treasurer@soa.org.uk.> in order to register.  He will then send you an invitation with a link that will enable you to access the conference itself. 

The talks will appear in Slingshot in some form, probably in the January issue and we hope that they will also be available via an electronic platform in due course.

Best Regards
John Drewienkiewicz
SoA Hon Secretary

Martin Smith

Quote from: holdfast on October 21, 2020, 09:27:21 PM
Good Evening to the Members,
We are now 10 days out from our first virtual conference.
The programme for the Conference looks like this:

Sat 31 Oct 1600-1800 UK Time
                Simon Elliott: The Classis Britannica.
                Phil Steele: The Arab Conquest.
Sun 1 Nov 1600-1800 UK Time
                Matt Bennett: The Normans in the Mediterranean.
                John Curry: Random Insights into Practical Medieval Warfare.

We hope that each talk will last 60 minutes which will be about 45 minutes from each presenter and 15 minutes of Q and A, moderated by Richard Lockwood.
Members are invited to email Richard Jeffrey-Cook on <treasurer@soa.org.uk.> in order to register.  He will then send you an invitation with a link that will enable you to access the conference itself. 

The talks will appear in Slingshot in some form, probably in the January issue and we hope that they will also be available via an electronic platform in due course.

Best Regards
John Drewienkiewicz
SoA Hon Secretary

Question:- what do we need to do from our end to be able to participate, apart from register?
Is it on Zoom, Skype, Teams eg? Not being very IT savvy myself, I'm not sure if I have the right 'kit' installed...
Martin
u444

Jim Webster

I will inevitably be working when they're happening. But please let us know when the papers are available
Jim

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

Quote from: Martin Smith on October 25, 2020, 06:00:56 PM
Question:- what do we need to do from our end to be able to participate, apart from register?
Is it on Zoom, Skype, Teams eg? Not being very IT savvy myself, I'm not sure if I have the right 'kit' installed...

I understand the software is called 'Livestorm'.  Yes, I know it sounds frightening, but I am assured that all one has to do is hit the button on the email you receive from our illustrious Treasurer, Richard Jeffrey-Cook, and let it do its stuff. 

8)
Nick Harbud

Martin Smith

Martin
u444

lionheartrjc

All you will need is a browser.  It works best with Google Chrome, but should work with other browsers.

When you contact me - you will receive an email from Livestorm.  You need to click on the link to register. You will then receive a further link which allows you to access the webinar.  It also allows you to test your set up to make sure it all works okay.

The reason for contacting me first is so that we don't break any GDPR rules.

Richard Jeffrey-Cook
Treasurer

lionheartrjc

Quote from: NickHarbud on October 26, 2020, 08:08:50 AM

I understand the software is called 'Livestorm'.  Yes, I know it sounds frightening, but I am assured that all one has to do is hit the button on the email you receive from our illustrious Treasurer, Richard Jeffrey-Cook, and let it do its stuff. 

8)

NOT QUITE RIGHT NICK.  See my other email.  On contacting me, you will receive an email from Livestorm fpr each day.  You will need to click on the link to register.  Then you can test your browser set up works okay.  You dont need Skype, Zoom or anything else - only the browser (Chrome works best, but others should work fine as well).

Richard

Nick Harbud

Just so long as it is no more complicated than 'Click on the button and go'

My braincell is not capable of much more after 7 months of vegetating under covid restrictions...    :-[
Nick Harbud

lionheartrjc

Quote from: NickHarbud on October 26, 2020, 01:10:38 PM
Just so long as it is no more complicated than 'Click on the button and go'

My braincell is not capable of much more after 7 months of vegetating under covid restrictions...    :-[

You need to click to register. 
Once you have registered it is as simple as click to go, but you may want to test your connection works (another click). 
Once registered you will receive reminder emails with 1 hour and 5 minutes to go.  You will also receive a further email once the event has finished with a link to the recording.
You can access the conference on a smartphone, tablet or PC.  Anything that supports a browser.
If anyone wants to know more, you can visit www.livestorm.com to find out more...

I chose the software bearing in mind the IT skills (or lack of them) of some of our (committee) members!   ;)

Richard

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Duncan Head

Quote from: lionheartrjc on October 26, 2020, 11:48:40 AMOn contacting me, you will receive an email from Livestorm.  You will need to click on the link to register. 

I received two emails. Is one for Saturday or one for Sunday, or was that an error?
Duncan Head

Nick Harbud

I think you will find it is for two separate presentation sessions.  We thought it might be easier for the audience to digest if we split it into two sessions on separate days. 

Asking everyone to pay attention for 4 hours without a break would probably bring complaints along the lines of 'having to gnaw one's own leg off', etc.

;)
Nick Harbud