Author Topic: Are there any SoA members in the Whitby area of North Yorkshire? (other than me)  (Read 99 times)

CarlL

• Society Member
  • Interests: Many and varied historical and games interests (and I have painted Romans, Gauls, American Civil War and WW2 figures and models in my youth and many others in the ffity years since! Plastic and metal, Resin and many homemade models from paper and card,etc
Hi all SoA members,
Having been a nomad, of sorts, most of my working life then its no surprise (to some!) that I am about to wander off again in my retirement as I head off to Whitby, in North Yorkshire at the end of the month, (January 2020).
Initially my paints, figures, boxed games, rules and history books (many figures and books on ancient subjects but many on other, later periods right up to WW2) will be in storage of sorts as we settle into our new home and we try to convert the garage to a library, paint space and games space (if its big enough).
I would be interested to meet up with any SoA members for figure games, board games, (or half way houses like Gladiolus or Imperial Governor / Strategos; or out of period Kingmaker, Axis & Allies or fictional Risk!), or just for a coffee or beer and natter.
I don't move to Whitby till late January, so at this stage I am just trying to learn if there are like minded souls or SoA members in that area of North Yorkshire!?
I joined the SoA in either 1973 or 1974! (So long ago I have forgotten!) But hopefully I am not as doddering as that suggests!
CarlL
  • Carl Luxford

Hannipaul

• Society Member
  • Interests: whole Ancients period specifically Europe & Mediterranean
Hello Carl L.

Does Pickering count as near Whitby? I have been there since 2013 and been somewhat in Wargaming Exile. I have only really found one kindred spirit, Dave Dickenson, and he lives in York. I tried the Club in York but "historical" Gamers were few and far between..... in fact for the ancient/medieval period Dave was the only one.
I have met a potential gamer here in Pickering but not got beyond an initial meet-up in a Café. We plan to try and get games together in the near future.
Anyway. Rather than take up Forum space, perhaps we should contact outside it.
Drop me an email and we can take it from there.
  • Paul Stein

CarlL

• Society Member
  • Interests: Many and varied historical and games interests (and I have painted Romans, Gauls, American Civil War and WW2 figures and models in my youth and many others in the ffity years since! Plastic and metal, Resin and many homemade models from paper and card,etc
Paul,
I think that Pickering counts as close!
I usually drive through Pickering from my current home on our weekend jaunts to Whitby and its a short drive from Pickering to Whitby (in good weather! gets slower going in wet and misty weather or on busy tourist days!!!).

There is a warhammer like shop in Baxtergate, Whitby, called OP31 where they have games tables and do some historical and mostly warhammer; and a "Collectibles" shop on Skinner Street, doing mainly trains but Airfix too; so I guess there must be some model mkers historical gamers other than passing tourist trade.

So once we get settled I shall get in touch. (I shall have to learn how to contact people by their email off Forum...??!!)

CarlL
  • Carl Luxford

aligern

• Committee Member
  • Society Member
Carl, is the Magpie still the best fish and chips?
Roy
  • Roy Boss

Erpingham

• Society Member
  • Interests: Medieval warfare, Old School, home made rules
Carl, is the Magpie still the best fish and chips?
Roy

I've always suspected that Whitby natives only tell tourists this.  While those poor souls queue for ages outside in the rain, sniggering locals visit other places known only to them.
  • Anthony Clipsom

aligern

• Committee Member
  • Society Member
They do hand out umbrellas!
Roy
  • Roy Boss