News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Bagaudae Army List or Lack of It.

Started by David Kush, March 15, 2020, 09:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

thats what I was thinking along the lines of as well Ade
Slingshot Editor

stevenneate

Looks like my decision to build a Jewish Revolt army way back when pays off yet again as yesterday's Jewish Revolt is today's Bagaudae.

Jim Webster

There is stuff from Asian Minor showing diogmitai or local policing forces. These forces existed, sometimes they were hastily thrown together into military units and sent to the Rhine or Danube frontier. But there was within the empire a sort of sub-level of men who were sort of armed and sort of trained who defended the estates of landowners, guarded temples, and provided a bit of muscle for city councils.

Imperial Dave

a bit off topic but I see that the Vigiles in Rome were pressed into military service occasionally
Slingshot Editor

aligern

Yes, these chaps are what we now call paramilitaries.. There is, however a world of difference between  manning a tower, collecting taxes and forming a posse and fighting in line with other units.
Roy

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on March 17, 2020, 02:58:49 PM
Reg D if ever I saw them....

Yes, Ax(I) wearing tunic (and depending on culture, trousers) with a largish oval shield and a spear and probably a sword because they're really good at intimidating civilians  :-[