News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Little Battles 20

Started by dwkay57, March 23, 2020, 04:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwkay57

Just in case Justin and Chris thought they had this thread to themselves.....

Given the recent discussion about whether troops should generally be C or D class, this battle shows what happens if you make too many of them D or even E class.

Blow by blow replay and full post match analysis on my website for those who can't get out much or need help dropping off to sleep.
David

Imperial Dave

thanks David, much appreciated and nice battle report. Sorry for the dim question....what is your website link?  :-[
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: dwkay57 on March 23, 2020, 04:04:56 PM

Given the recent discussion about whether troops should generally be C or D class, this battle shows what happens if you make too many of them D or even E class.

Blow by blow replay and full post match analysis on my website for those who can't get out much or need help dropping off to sleep.

I always enjoy these reports  8)

dwkay57

Dave, website is:

https://veryverylittlewars.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the positive comments chaps. Much appreciated.

I did fight another battle over the weekend but this was a bit larger - something like 1,700 figures just about squeezed on.
Attached photo shows some early action as my Achaemenid Persians take on my Imperial Romans on terrain that was modelled on Alexander's battle at Issos.
David

Imperial Dave

perfect. Thank you very much David...now bookmarked
Slingshot Editor

Chris

Quote from: dwkay57 on March 23, 2020, 04:04:56 PM

Yeah, I guess it has been a while since I "stitched" something together. Should probably address that, less I get "needled" again.

Perhaps, in conjunction with governor's order, I could stage something wherein the Romans or whomever had to "shelter in place"?

Cheers,
Chris

p.s. Big fun reading about these Little Battles - Thanks!

Imperial Dave

its a great blog David. Have spent a little time nosing about in the rules section :)
Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

With apologies to A A Milne...

"Christopher Robin, I have been thinking and these are the wrong sort of Persians"
"Oh. Why?"
"They have the wrong sort of shields. And if they are the wrong sort of Persians they would fight the wrong sort of Issos"
"Would they?"
"Yes. So I shall give them the wrong sort of opponents."

My largest battle to date (1,700 figures approximately). Short report attached. Much much longer report on my website for those with plenty of time on their hands.
David

Chris

Impressive, as always.

Cheers,
Chris

Imperial Dave

Hi Dave....me just being dense I suspect but where are the actual spreadsheets and rules stored on the website or are they kept under wraps? You have piqued my interest somewhat reading the 'design' notes as they are :)
Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

Dave, the spreadsheet isn't on the website. The current version is about 1.4MB and is made up of about 20 worksheets.

If you really want it, I'm happy to email it to you. Whilst I have some notes that read a bit like rules for populating the sheets, the sheets aren't really documented to any level and I'm not sure if I have any other notes that might support anyone trying to understand it.
David

Imperial Dave

Quote from: dwkay57 on April 02, 2020, 05:55:42 PM
Dave, the spreadsheet isn't on the website. The current version is about 1.4MB and is made up of about 20 worksheets.

If you really want it, I'm happy to email it to you. Whilst I have some notes that read a bit like rules for populating the sheets, the sheets aren't really documented to any level and I'm not sure if I have any other notes that might support anyone trying to understand it.

yes please....I am spreadsheet-a-phile (aka geek) :)
Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

It may look like one of my standard solo battles, but don't be fooled!

This was my first attempt at a hosted battle. Essentially two volunteers took on the roles of army generals, they had the brief as in the General Discussions thread about remote generals, they sent me their battle plans and deployments, I started moving the little fellas and sent the generals sitreps (with photos) every now and then, and they told me what they wanted to change and I carried on moving the little fellas and rolling dice.

There is on my website a version of this battle report but with additional slides showing some of the ground level photos the generals had of the battlefield and the information provided to them in the sitreps for those who are interested.
David

Imperial Dave

great report David and the photos and annotations useful for me as always to visualise the ebb and flow of the battle
Slingshot Editor

Prufrock

Enjoyed that David, thanks. Quite a different battle to what I'd been expecting!