Author Topic: Optio available for playtesting  (Read 840 times)

Justin Swanton

• Committee Member
  • Society Member
    • Check out my website
  • Interests: Anything in Ancients that gives a good game and adds historicity to boot
Re: Optio available for playtesting
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2020, 05:27:29 AM »
I am in awe....I am not worthy.....

No wriggling out of it.  ;)

Let me do up that pdf showing how the game works and I'll send it to you asap. To go with for now: start the module. Select 'New Game.' Then choose the 'Solitaire' option. Then time to create the battlefield. It consists of sections measuring 8 squares by 8 squares. Choose 'Battlefield' then add a column. For the second column choose 'Side Panel' then click on Next. If you like you can add additional columns (and rows) and put in more battlefield sections for a bigger battlefield.

That takes you to a small battlefield and you can see the various buttons above. Choose 'Armies/Terrain' and then 'Terrain.' Terrain is subdivided into hills, woods, river, etc. Hills subdivide into difficult and easy, woods into forest and scattered woodland, and so on. Put the mouse pointer in the area to the left of the terrain name and drag onto the battlefield. The terrain piece will appear on one of the squares. Terrain pieces snap to squares. You can rotate most of them (except forest, scattered woodland and broken ground). Once you deselect a terrain piece you can only reselect it by holding Shift + click.

Then drag army units on the battlefield the same way. They do not snap to the grid squares but move freely. They can always be selected by a click once deselected. Right click on an army piece to see what you can do with it. The piece can be given a coloured border to indicate which command it belongs to. Generals are given a coloured background to indicate their command. Disorder shows the troops higgledy-piggledy and then back to orderly again. Shot indicates the unit, if missile capable, has already fired that player's move (one can shoot at any moment in either player's turn so it's useful to know if a unit has already shot or not). Morale is used to set the base's morale calibre (it runs from low to high) and then the loss of morale during a game). Missile hits shows how many missile hits the unit has received thus far. when it reaches black the unit drops one interval on the morale scale.

The side panel is used to indicate the course of a turn - go to 'Player Aids' and drag the Turn Marker onto the First Player Normal Movement square - and record the loss of units during the game (necessary to determine panic hits).

The die, also in 'Player Aids' can be dragged onto the battlefield and thrown to give a random number.

But I'll cover all this in detail later.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 09:22:51 AM by Justin Swanton »
  • Justin Swanton

Holly

• Committee Member
  • Society Member
  • Dave Hollin aka The Backpackbrewer
    • The Backpackbrewer
  • Interests: Ancients, Dark Ages
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2020, 10:31:26 AM »
right...well in that case....I wont wriggle out of it  ;)
  • Dave Hollin

Justin Swanton

• Committee Member
  • Society Member
    • Check out my website
  • Interests: Anything in Ancients that gives a good game and adds historicity to boot
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2020, 08:50:21 AM »

Dave and I are currently playing Optio's official first online game. I feel a bit like Elon Musk - cross all fingers and toes...and it works! We are trying out a game in real time, bit of a learning tutorial really. The serious bloodshed will come later.
  • Justin Swanton

Holly

• Committee Member
  • Society Member
    • The Backpackbrewer
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2020, 09:03:28 PM »

Dave and I are currently playing Optio's official first online game. I feel a bit like Elon Musk - cross all fingers and toes...and it works! We are trying out a game in real time, bit of a learning tutorial really. The serious bloodshed will come later.

serious bloodshed not far off.....!
  • Dave Hollin

Holly

• Committee Member
  • Society Member
    • The Backpackbrewer
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2020, 10:04:45 PM »
Serious bloodshed was had by all....my Greeks suffered at the hands of Justin's Spanish. When the end came, it came swiftly!
  • Dave Hollin

Justin Swanton

• Committee Member
  • Society Member
    • Check out my website
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2020, 10:48:56 PM »
It was touch and go, though.

We're doing Issus next - putting a couple of big, complex armies through their paces to see how Optio handles them. Dave, let me know if you're able to get the updated module to work.
  • Justin Swanton

Holly

• Committee Member
  • Society Member
    • The Backpackbrewer
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2020, 11:14:41 PM »
will do Justin. I'll have a play with it tomorrow
  • Dave Hollin