News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Archaeology of a game

Started by Erpingham, May 03, 2020, 11:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

I pulled out my file of my old Ed Smith Naval Rules today - I had accidentally relocated it in connection with the rules ancestry discussion looking for something else and then an actual question about them today sent me straight there.

They haven't been used since the 1980s.  The file contains all my home made record cards .  More interestingly, I didn't clean up after the last game.  So I have the last moves and the damage records of my side of a battle from more than 30 years ago.  I can see I was using a mixed fleet from my Imperial Roman and Greek navies, but mainly Romans.  3 liburnians (biremes), 4 triremes and a four.  The game wasn't finished - nothing had been sunk and only two ships weren't manoeuvering.  Sabrina look to have been grappled having been rammed on her starboard side and was about to be over run.  Gloria looks to have been rammed in the rear, losing both rudders, and was fighting a boarding action. Concordia and Tamesis were backing out of contact .  The triremes Augusta and Cleo were manoeuvering at speed, with consequent larger turning circles.  The flagship Nike was moving straight ahead at cruise speed - she'd obviously seen no action according her record card.  Were the enemy avoiding her?

Anyway, a little curio.  A recreation in miniature of trying to make sense of a battle from incomplete records, a basic understanding of the type of combat and the capabilities of combatants and no narrative to guide us :)