News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Article on Himyarite Knights, infantry and hunters

Started by davidb, May 04, 2020, 01:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

Duncan Head

Tim

Another very interesting article for me to work my way through. Thanks

aligern

Duncan Head

Incidentally the "Himyarite knight" of these two articles should be compared with the very similar relief that is Photograph 3 in David Nicolle's "Horse Armour in the Medieval Islamic Middle East" article. He (pub.2017) seems unaware of the earlier Yule-Robin and Skupniewicz articles.

Both reliefs show an armoured, helmeted horseman with right arm raised (Yule etc has a spear, Nicolle doesn't unless it was added in paint) and a small oval shield, riding an armoured horse (assuming that the lozenge-hatched area in front of the Yule horseman's leg is in fact some sort of armour), and both are accompanied by a shield-bearing footman in a long-sleeved tunic. Nicolle's figure seems to have his legs inside the horse's barding, which as he points out is highly unusual.

Nicolle suggests that his figure dates to the 6th-7th centuries and may be one of the Sasanian Persian troops occupying Yemen; Yule & Robin date theirs rather tentatively to the 3rd-4th centuries. The two reliefs seem to me to have so much in common that they must surely belong to a very similar date. 
Duncan Head