News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Hannibal

Started by Baldie, May 16, 2020, 08:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baldie

Terrifying indeed, especially the bit where the elephant  strangles someone with its trunk.

Nice to see they had time for a quick game of command and colours just before the battle as well.

Chuck the Grey

I saw the film with Victor Mature when I was around 14. The only scene I remember liking was the advance of the Roman legions at Trebia through the cold and snow. Set the mood nicely. I was disappointed when they then cut to showing the aftermath of the battle with little or no fighting that I can remember. That was a bit of a let down.

stevenneate

Victor Mature is the quintessential Hannibal. Is there another actor who has portrayed the legend that is Hannibal?  Who can forget him saying "March!".   

Hannipaul

Indeed!!  Nor can I forget the moment he throws off his helmet to put his shoulder to a wagon to help struggling soldiers, who comradely wave their thanks!  I may have been unkind about the film but that image of Hannibal as a soldier's soldier and his bond with the ordinary men was crystallized into my 9 year old's brain and emphasized by Victor Mature's  performance as the imperious yet admirable Heroic Leader. Yep, Victor made a big impression on a very impressionable young boy.  Of course, I am a big boy now!!!

Jim Webster

Quote from: Hannipaul on May 24, 2020, 03:49:56 PM
Indeed!!  Nor can I forget the moment he throws off his helmet to put his shoulder to a wagon to help struggling soldiers, who comradely wave their thanks!  I may have been unkind about the film but that image of Hannibal as a soldier's soldier and his bond with the ordinary men was crystallized into my 9 year old's brain and emphasized by Victor Mature's  performance as the imperious yet admirable Heroic Leader. Yep, Victor made a big impression on a very impressionable young boy.  Of course, I am a big boy now!!!

It does beg the question how he did manage to keep the show on the road for as long as he did given the army that he led

stevenneate

Because he is the one and only, Victor Mature!  And he lends a hand pushing bogged wagons.