News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

To what extent does missile file slow down advancing infantry or cavalry?

Started by Justin Swanton, May 30, 2020, 08:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Duncan Head on May 31, 2020, 12:44:04 PM
Quote from: Erpingham on May 31, 2020, 10:15:57 AM
Quote from: NickHarbud on May 31, 2020, 09:27:27 AM

The tactic of closing swiftly to avoid missile casualties was much favoured during the 19th century. 

What other examples do we have of missilry impacting on the advance of heavy infantry in the Classical period?

Quote from: Ammianus XXIV.6.11And when the battle-cry was raised in the usual manner by both sides and the trumpets' blare increased the ardour of the men, here and there they fought hand-to‑hand with spears and drawn swords; and the soldiers were freer from the danger of the arrows the more quickly they forced their way into the enemy's ranks.

Thanks Duncan. Thus far the sources give examples of troops under missile attack picking up speed rather than vice versa. Anything in the other direction?

Jim Webster

Quote from: Justin Swanton on May 31, 2020, 02:35:01 PM
Quote from: Duncan Head on May 31, 2020, 12:44:04 PM
Quote from: Erpingham on May 31, 2020, 10:15:57 AM
Quote from: NickHarbud on May 31, 2020, 09:27:27 AM

The tactic of closing swiftly to avoid missile casualties was much favoured during the 19th century. 

What other examples do we have of missilry impacting on the advance of heavy infantry in the Classical period?

Quote from: Ammianus XXIV.6.11And when the battle-cry was raised in the usual manner by both sides and the trumpets' blare increased the ardour of the men, here and there they fought hand-to‑hand with spears and drawn swords; and the soldiers were freer from the danger of the arrows the more quickly they forced their way into the enemy's ranks.

Thanks Duncan. Thus far the sources give examples of troops under missile attack picking up speed rather than vice versa. Anything in the other direction?

Isn't there something about attackers flinching away from longbowmen and piling into the men at arms instead?
They're not so much slowed as channelled if it's true

Erpingham

QuoteIsn't there something about attackers flinching away from longbowmen and piling into the men at arms instead?
They're not so much slowed as channelled if it's true

Yes, with caveats.  It happened twice as far as I know (Dupplin Moor and Agincourt).  In the former, the terrain may have been a feature.  However, we can have some doubt that the target of the men-at-arms included the archers i.e. they were after the men-at-arms all along.  However, Justin isn't that interested in medieval examples.  If he was we would be considering crossbows against Eastern cavalry in the Crusades or the rare occassion of the battle of Hausbergen in 1262 where the Strasbourg militia crossbowmen prevented the episcopal infantry from advancing to the aid of their knights, who were consequently defeated.  This is the only medieval example I can think of where an infantry advance was stopped by archery.  But as I said, I'm trying to keep it classical :)

Erpingham

You might consider the course of the Battle of Bulgneville in 1431.  There are some intriguing discrepancies in modern accounts, though some of this may be caused by my limited French.  However, here Rene of Anjou faced off against Antoine de Vaudemont in an inheritance dispute.  This would have been all small beer except the French provided Anjou with an army, while Vaudemont received considerable Burgundian and English contingents, which gave him lots of English and Picard longbows.  Anyway, Vaudemonts army emplaced itself on a slight hill beyond a river, with stakes across its front and wagons covering the rear and flanks (pretty identical, in fact, to Blore Heath in the WOTR).  Anjou advanced across the river to be greeted by artillery fire, which shook his inexperienced troops who then had to wade through a storm of longbow arrows.  The right got into contact but the centre faltered, then fell back.  The left wing cavalry either charged and failed to make it stick, then ran off, or did nothing then ran off.  Vaudemonts Burgundian men-at-arms mounted up and scattered the remaining waivers.  So, inexperienced infantry stopped in its tracks by guns and massed archery.  Tactical circumstances - poor quality troops asked to assault across a river against an enemy dug in on a hill, under heavy fire.

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Erpingham on June 02, 2020, 05:51:33 PM
You might consider the course of the Battle of Bulgneville in 1431.  There are some intriguing discrepancies in modern accounts, though some of this may be caused by my limited French.  However, here Rene of Anjou faced off against Antoine de Vaudemont in an inheritance dispute.  This would have been all small beer except the French provided Anjou with an army, while Vaudemont received considerable Burgundian and English contingents, which gave him lots of English and Picard longbows.  Anyway, Vaudemonts army emplaced itself on a slight hill beyond a river, with stakes across its front and wagons covering the rear and flanks (pretty identical, in fact, to Blore Heath in the WOTR).  Anjou advanced across the river to be greeted by artillery fire, which shook his inexperienced troops who then had to wade through a storm of longbow arrows.  The right got into contact but the centre faltered, then fell back.  The left wing cavalry either charged and failed to make it stick, then ran off, or did nothing then ran off.  Vaudemonts Burgundian men-at-arms mounted up and scattered the remaining waivers.  So, inexperienced infantry stopped in its tracks by guns and massed archery.  Tactical circumstances - poor quality troops asked to assault across a river against an enemy dug in on a hill, under heavy fire.

That's very interesting, thanks Anthony.

Jim Webster

Quote from: Erpingham on June 02, 2020, 05:51:33 PM

I confess that the result doesn't come as a surprise but it's nice to see an expected result.

Erpingham

I came across this while looking for something else.  It's from the Alliterative Morte D'Arthur, a Middle English poem of c.1400 (lines 1205-6)

So they shrinken for shot   of the sharp arrows,
That all the sheltron shunt   and shuddered at ones;

Read "for" as "before", shunt in its obsolete meaning of "hang back", sheltron in its generic use "body of soldiers".

OK, it's poetry but it shows someone in the Middle Ages thought archery slowed the advance.