News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Who produced the weapons for the Roman army

Started by Jim Webster, June 18, 2020, 12:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on July 03, 2020, 09:00:31 AM
that was the reference I was referring to Duncan....when in Britain...send socks and underpants  ;D

supplementing normal issue, or were they just not army issue?

DougM

that was the reference I was referring to Duncan....when in Britain...send socks and underpants  ;D

Ah the famous Commandos of the Roman Legions.  ::)
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Jim Webster on July 03, 2020, 12:45:47 PM

supplementing normal issue, or were they just not army issue?

stout hessian weave....
Slingshot Editor

Duncan Head

Well we have here an instance of pay deductions for socks, suggesting that they were issued, at least to some troops in that well-known frozen northern wasteland, Egypt.
Duncan Head

Jim Webster

Quote from: Duncan Head on July 03, 2020, 01:53:27 PM
Well we have here an instance of pay deductions for socks, suggesting that they were issued, at least to some troops in that well-known frozen northern wasteland, Egypt.

A chap I knew (dead now) swore that Egypt can get very cold at night  ;D

Thanks for the source. It does look as if socks were a standard issue
Even with sandals

DougM

Quote from: Jim Webster on July 03, 2020, 02:01:58 PM

Even with sandals

And cue thousands of wargamers repainting hundreds of thousands of tiny little Roman toes from flesh to sock colour. My Romans are of course, wearing their flesh-coloured sock issue.
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Imperial Dave

Quote from: DougM on July 03, 2020, 02:09:09 PM
Quote from: Jim Webster on July 03, 2020, 02:01:58 PM

Even with sandals

And cue thousands of wargamers repainting hundreds of thousands of tiny little Roman toes from flesh to sock colour. My Romans are of course, wearing their flesh-coloured sock issue.

early camo design....
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Here is a British example of Roman footwear style. 

Certainly in 25/28mm, that roll-top should be visible on the figure.

DougM

Quote from: Erpingham on July 03, 2020, 02:25:56 PM

Wow, that's a bit brilliant.. did they also become fully acclimatised to England, and start replacing helmets with hankies tied in knots at the corners?

Imperial Dave

Quote from: DougM on July 03, 2020, 05:14:56 PM

Wow, that's a bit brilliant.. did they also become fully acclimatised to England, and start replacing helmets with hankies tied in knots at the corners?

and introduce string vests too...
Slingshot Editor

DougM

Quote from: Holly on July 03, 2020, 05:20:18 PM

Ah.. the little known Legio XXXVII & Bar (Yorkshire)

Imperial Dave

Quote from: DougM on July 03, 2020, 05:49:55 PM
Quote from: Holly on July 03, 2020, 05:20:18 PM

Ah.. the little known Legio XXXVII & Bar (Yorkshire)

but what I am unsure about is if the deckchairs should have regimental colours or down to local flavour
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on July 03, 2020, 05:56:35 PM

but what I am unsure about is if the deckchairs should have regimental colours or down to local flavour

At the 'end' of Roman Britain, some claim to be able to trace British units because of the decoration on various items of kit. So the deckchairs might not be too far from the mark  ;)

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

So apart from Romans being painted wearing socks and sandals and knotted hankies under their various forms of helmets and wearing different shades of tunic, has this discussion affected any other battlefield attribute? I can see how it might influence some campaign mechanics if you are tracking equipment levels to a fine degree of detail.
David